[REQUEST] Grooveshark (grooveshark.com) plugin, script, or native code for XBMC?
Lightbulb 
Anyone interested in developing this plugin. It can be interesting if someone can add a download module, but it should work like [Replay Media catcher 3.0] does.

IN simple words, after you click on the play button and in the meantime you have Media Catcher on to download streaming. I think it might be cool!
I am new to xbmc. What is the difference between plugin & script?
Scripts
Plugins
Question 
I think it will be a plugin. or am I wrong!
Grooveshark might serve better if it was integrated into XBMC nativly (C++ code) similar to how LastFM is? Huh

http://getsatisfaction.com/grooveshark/t...eshark_api

...they have an API available, however someone would need to volunteer to code it...

Oo
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Grooveshark in xbmc would be awesome.

I used to use the Seeqpod plugin quite a bit but it's a bit broken these days and seeqpod is a bit limited.
The problem I see with grooveshark is that it's entirely search and manually created playlist based. This stuff is a real PITA to do from a remote. I don't even like doing it with my own music. With last.fm you just choose your profile and a stream, or do one artist/tag search and nav around until you find an interesting stream to play. The whole point of using services like this, IMO, is so I don't have to create a playlist in the first place. They give me a dynamic one so I'll never get bored or have to mess with it.
I agree with you about Last.FM. It's very nice to use because it requires little input from the user. I like that. But Grooveshark finds the specific track you want, instead of a stream of things you might like.

I do agree also about the input method, typing using on-screen keys is a good save, but still too hassly for most. But I don't think Grooveshark is a step back beyond Last.FM, just different methods.

I think if you had a small wireless keyboard or something like an iphone or logitech dinovo as input it would be pretty fine.
I'm willing to take this as an opportunity to learn more Python or C. Don't take this as an offer to actually come up with something useful Smile Just wanted to express my need for a grooveshark thingy also.

As for the remote issue: I agree, but many also have a wireless keyboard for their htpcs and as xbmc supports keyboards well, that's not a point in not-developing this i think.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Ah just had a closer look at their site, especially browser <-> server communication. It seems without a ton of API documentation it's impossible to just hack up a small client which interfaces with the search api at least. They're generating transfer tokens on-the-fly inside their flash client (like flickr,...), and without knowing the algorithm you cannot create those.

Gamester17: I saw your discussion on getsatisfaction.com. Any updates on API docs or something?

Thanks!
Haggy.
Haggy Wrote:Gamester17: I saw your discussion on getsatisfaction.com. Any updates on API docs or something?
Yes, they told us that they have a public API but have not announced it yet as they first like to clean up the documentation before releasing it, however they said that they can e-mail the API documentation drafts 'as is' to anyone who asks, (just say that it is for XBMC).

Colin Hostert <[email protected]>, Skyler Slade <[email protected]>

althekiller Wrote:The problem I see with grooveshark is that it's entirely search and manually created playlist based. This stuff is a real PITA to do from a remote. I don't even like doing it with my own music. With last.fm you just choose your profile and a stream, or do one artist/tag search and nav around until you find an interesting stream to play. The whole point of using services like this, IMO, is so I don't have to create a playlist in the first place. They give me a dynamic one so I'll never get bored or have to mess with it.
Well, you could use Grooveshark in combination with LastFM, (or your local music files for that matter), ...imagine listening to LastFM and you hear a song by an artist but you get in the mood to listen to a other specific song by that artist or the whole album, then you could just go (or link) to Grooveshark as it basically has all albums and all songs by all artists, thus you can just select which specific song or album by the artist you like to listen to right then and there. So similar to how one already in XBMC can go into the information of a movie then click on an action and from there see which other movies that actor is in that you have in your library.

I for one thing that Grooveshark is especially great for parties, anyone can just ask which song they like to hear by any artist and you can simply add that specific song to the playlist, ...or you can just browse what is most popular right now and select one of those specific song.

Grooveshark does also like LastFM have a list of "similar artists", however Grooveshark even does one better by being able to display specific "similar songs" when you have selected a song.

Cool
Thanks. I just contacted the guys from Grooveshark for any available documentation on this. Will keep you informed.

Ralf.
Please keep in mind the 10 foot interface and the fact that most use a remote as the sole input device (this isn't an invitation for tens of "No but I us an X" replies, I really don't care). As I expressed earlier the interface for this would be pretty kludgey as is with a remote. You shouldn't assume the users wants to use a keyboard or setup something at a normal PC if you plan to do this in C++ and have it integrated into mainline. Feel free to make any crap assumptions you like if the plan is for a plugin or script though. Wink
Yes that's definitely a point as the whole grooveshark is based on your search and not on recommendations. Maybe i can come up with something like a livesearch if they offer anything like that... so you select the first character(s) from the OSK and get an updated list with matching songs/artists/albums from which you can select your search term.

Just an idea and maybe not possible, at least until i get and read that documentation.
There's already a python plugin for moovida (moovida.com) media player (open source).
You can grab it and copy Smile
It has searches and dynamic radios

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Grooveshark (grooveshark.com) plugin, script, or native code for XBMC?0