XBMC on Apple TV does not maintain aspect ratio
I recently purchased an Apple TV (ATV). I upgraded the box using Apple TV USB Patchsticket 1.0.b11 to allow use of XBMC and Boxee. The patch worked successfully. My XBMC version is xbmc babylon 9.04.

The ATV is connected to a 32" Sony HD LCD TV using an HDMI cable. I have the resolution set on the ATV to 1080i. XBMC resolution is set to Auto.

The problem I am experiencing has to do with XBMC's ability to maintain the aspect ratio of the video played. For some reason, some video content in widescreen format displays correctly. The picture is not stretched or distorted. On the other hand, some widescreen videos do not play back correctly. I have been unable to determine whether this issue is related to the type of file format, ie iso, divix, xvid.

One big problem I am having is XBMC's inability to properly display video content that is recorded in the 4:3 format. For some reason, all 4:3 videos are stretched and squished. I read several posts on this subject and people keep suggesting that you should use the zoom feature on your TV to fix the aspect ratio problem. I don't understand why I need to make adjustments to my TV to watch video's with different aspect ratios. I own an original Xbox with XBMC installed. I don't have this problem on the Xbox. All videos play perfectly without distortion or stretching, including 4:3 videos.

At first I thought the problem was with the Apple TV’s inability to display 4:3 content correctly. I'm not sure this is the case since I am able to successfully watch YouTube videos in the 4:3 format without any issues. It seems to me that this problem is related to a programming (code) issue with XBMC for Apple TV.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what adjustments; including code changes to XBMC might resolve this issue. I don't think I am alone on this problem. From the Google searches I have done, I have read quite a few posts on this subject.

Thanks,
Kevin
novkev24 Wrote:I recently purchased an Apple TV (ATV). I upgraded the box using Apple TV USB Patchsticket 1.0.b11 to allow use of XBMC and Boxee. The patch worked successfully. My XBMC version is xbmc babylon 9.04.

The ATV is connected to a 32" Sony HD LCD TV using an HDMI cable. I have the resolution set on the ATV to 1080i. XBMC resolution is set to Auto.

The problem I am experiencing has to do with XBMC's ability to maintain the aspect ratio of the video played. For some reason, some video content in widescreen format displays correctly. The picture is not stretched or distorted. On the other hand, some widescreen videos do not play back correctly. I have been unable to determine whether this issue is related to the type of file format, ie iso, divix, xvid.

One big problem I am having is XBMC's inability to properly display video content that is recorded in the 4:3 format. For some reason, all 4:3 videos are stretched and squished. I read several posts on this subject and people keep suggesting that you should use the zoom feature on your TV to fix the aspect ratio problem. I don't understand why I need to make adjustments to my TV to watch video's with different aspect ratios. I own an original Xbox with XBMC installed. I don't have this problem on the Xbox. All videos play perfectly without distortion or stretching, including 4:3 videos.

At first I thought the problem was with the Apple TV’s inability to display 4:3 content correctly. I'm not sure this is the case since I am able to successfully watch YouTube videos in the 4:3 format without any issues. It seems to me that this problem is related to a programming (code) issue with XBMC for Apple TV.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what adjustments; including code changes to XBMC might resolve this issue. I don't think I am alone on this problem. From the Google searches I have done, I have read quite a few posts on this subject.

Thanks,
Kevin

try it with the appletv set to 720p and use fullscreen in xbmc settings. 1080i for the display has always been "funny".
That worked thanks!
novkev24 Wrote:I recently purchased an Apple TV (ATV). I upgraded the box using Apple TV USB Patchsticket 1.0.b11 to allow use of XBMC and Boxee. The patch worked successfully. My XBMC version is xbmc babylon 9.04.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hello, New to the forum but have two apple TV's with XBMC on them. I upgraded about a month ago and now only see the top half of any movie from play back.

I have set the resolution on the Apple TV to either 1080i or 720 and still get the upper half only.

All the XBMC controls and other screens show perfectly it is only the movie/media player with the issue.

On the other Apple TV the caption text is now defaulted to ON and I cant turn it off anywhere except to start up the movie then select caption off and then for that play the captions are off but on any restart of the medial player captions are defaulted to ON, this just started happening too, very strange.

Love XBMC but half screen movies are a challenge to watch. Oo

Cheers, Kris
xbmc.log or no soup Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Apple TV does not maintain aspect ratio0