[MAC] Separate PPC and i386 builds versus Universal Binary App of XBMC?
Lightbulb 
I have no problem to resolve here, I'm just curious! Does anyone know why XBMC is set up to build separate applications for PPC and Intel as opposed to building a single Universal application. e.g. The downloads page linked to by xbmc.org for the official 9.04 release has separate .dmg files for Intel and PPC.

I'm about to compile a version for my PPC machine (Intel mac mini build is working a charm) and just wondered the reason for this. Is it a filesize/bandwidth thing, a compatibility issue or some other gory reason? Having not touched a compiler in about 10 years before recently dabbling with xcode to build from osx-coreaudio and then linuxport, I'm keen to learn more!

Cheers!
Fergus Wrote:I have no problem to resolve here, I'm just curious! Does anyone know why XBMC is set up to build separate applications for PPC and Intel as opposed to building a single Universal application. e.g. The downloads page linked to by xbmc.org for the official 9.04 release has separate .dmg files for Intel and PPC.

I'm about to compile a version for my PPC machine (Intel mac mini build is working a charm) and just wondered the reason for this. Is it a filesize/bandwidth thing, a compatibility issue or some other gory reason? Having not touched a compiler in about 10 years before recently dabbling with xcode to build from osx-coreaudio and then linuxport, I'm keen to learn more!

Cheers!

It's purely a size thing, XBMC for Mac is on the order of 100MBs with MediaStream skin. Making it a universal app will double that size to about 200MBs. Does not seem far to penalize intel users with the extra size Smile
Makes sense. Thank you for enlightening me!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Separate PPC and i386 builds versus Universal Binary App of XBMC?0