[RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
stammie Online
(2015-02-18 18:57)jcorsaut Wrote:  I am a non-uk resident, but haven't had issues with my DNS provider before. As well, iplayer works fine in HD using the website or the ios app version. Not sure if there is a difference in how the streams works.

I've just "fixed" a friends PC where Iplayer was displaying all the issues mentioned here recently,
the cure was to disable the smartdns service he was using for overseas streams then all of iplayer worked fine
find quote
speedwell68 Offline
(2015-02-18 16:00)Nicolasb Wrote:  
(2015-02-18 01:34)jcorsaut Wrote:  
(2015-02-11 14:11)belrik Wrote:  Same solution; setting stream provider to auto was giving errors but manually selecting the Akamai CDN fixed the problem. Looks like the BBC have a bad content provider in their network. Akamai is massive so that should be enough.

Having trouble now with Akamai as well. Can't seem to get any reliable HD streams from this addon anymore. SD streams are working without issue. Anyone else having this problem. If not, what stream settings are you using?

For on-demand streams, Akamai doesn't work for me either, though I haven't tried SD streams. Last Top Gear episode stops after 10 sec whatever the provider

For live TV works as a charm.

This is where I am at with it. Live Streams work perfectly, on demand does not. The same is true if I use the 'BBC iPlayer' addon too, so I guess the issues lie with the BBC. I get big buffering issues on my Chromecast too. I am a UK resident and I am using 76Mbps fibre broadband.

My Setup...

Generic 40" 1080p TV
Raspberry Pi Model B (Overclocked 1GHZ, 120GB 2.5" HDD, Generic HTPC mini Keyboard, LG GSA-E6ON CD Drive, 50xWS2801 LEDs)
Pioneer VSX-819 HK AVR/AMP & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Openelec 5.0.x & Hyperion
Acer Revo 3610, 2GB RAM, 160GB internal HDD, 1TB Seagate ext HDD & 1TB Toshiba ext HDD running Lubuntu 14.04 LTS, NFS and MySQL.
find quote
jimardee Offline
Hi guys,

Currently running a Minix version of XBMC on their Neo x8-h android box.

My daughter loves Cbeebies so we are always playing videos from this channel but some videos randomly won't play? This has only started over the past 2 weeks.

I can get them to play by repeatedly hammering the play button and they eventually start! Like starting a car! It seems that the problem is mainly with standard definition videos, whilst the HD ones are okay and start smoothly.

It can't be the Minix box because i used to run Kodi through a raspberry pi and i had the same problem.

Could it be something to do with the resolution that i am running through XBMC/Kodi?

I should also add that my Minix is run through a Yamaha amp via HDMI before then going to my TV via the amp... could it be this?
(This post was last modified: 2015-02-24 10:36 by jimardee.)
find quote
tdw197 Online
Fan
(2015-02-24 10:34)jimardee Wrote:  Hi guys,

Currently running a Minix version of XBMC on their Neo x8-h android box.

My daughter loves Cbeebies so we are always playing videos from this channel but some videos randomly won't play? This has only started over the past 2 weeks.

I can get them to play by repeatedly hammering the play button and they eventually start! Like starting a car! It seems that the problem is mainly with standard definition videos, whilst the HD ones are okay and start smoothly.

It can't be the Minix box because i used to run Kodi through a raspberry pi and i had the same problem.

Could it be something to do with the resolution that i am running through XBMC/Kodi?

I should also add that my Minix is run through a Yamaha amp via HDMI before then going to my TV via the amp... could it be this?

Hi,

See above, others (including me) had the same problem, changing source preference to akamai fixed it for me and others.
find quote
mbc0 Offline
Out of interest, have you tried the official BBC app in android from the play store?
find quote
jimardee Offline
Hi Mbc0!

Yes! Don't get me started on that... there are all sorts of problems with KitKat, Minix and the official BBC iplayer app at the moment.

When I attempt to use this all i get is sound but a black screen! See this thread http://www.minixforum.com/threads/iplayer.4411/

It's only through XBMC/Kodi that i can get iplayer to work at all! Plus the stream can be in HD through Kodi, but not through the official app... absolute madness!
find quote
jcorsaut Offline
Currently the BBC streams are all acting very random for me. Sometimes I can now watch in HD again without issue, but other times I cannot. If I switch to just using Akami, that seems to no longer make any difference. The only thing I know for sure at this point is that all live streams work without issue in HD, and if I set the on demand streams to SD, they also all work without issue. I really wish I knew, could figure out, what is going on. Whether it is on my end with my ISP, a BBC issue, or some sort of hardware issue with my machine and windows 8.
find quote
jimardee Offline
I am still having issues even when switching to Akamai... just completely random!

Some video's won't even start, some will but then stop at random points in the playback and some play absolutely fine?
find quote
Piers Offline
Skilled Skinner
(2015-02-23 02:27)speedwell68 Wrote:  
(2015-02-18 16:00)Nicolasb Wrote:  
(2015-02-18 01:34)jcorsaut Wrote:  Having trouble now with Akamai as well. Can't seem to get any reliable HD streams from this addon anymore. SD streams are working without issue. Anyone else having this problem. If not, what stream settings are you using?

For on-demand streams, Akamai doesn't work for me either, though I haven't tried SD streams. Last Top Gear episode stops after 10 sec whatever the provider

For live TV works as a charm.

This is where I am at with it. Live Streams work perfectly, on demand does not. The same is true if I use the 'BBC iPlayer' addon too, so I guess the issues lie with the BBC. I get big buffering issues on my Chromecast too. I am a UK resident and I am using 76Mbps fibre broadband.

BBC iPlayer appears to be temperamental at best, even using get_iplayer causes similar drop-outs. Like I said before, they are making changes to try and stop people easily accessing media outside of the iPlayer website or official apps for Android, iOS and Tivo.

I'm using 200/100 from within the UK and it still causes problems. Oddly enough, ~70/20 from Austria doesn't cause [edit] as many issues - and I route that through my UK connection.

If I've been helpful, add a reputation point by pressing the [+/-] button.

skin.xperience1080
(This post was last modified: 2015-02-26 01:06 by Piers.)
find quote