Time-Shifting?
Seems to me like innovation in Myth has stalled. 0.22 looks almost like 0.21 and I think it's because of the continuous in-fighting amongst devs there. The Strong devs don't want to hear to any improvements, and I don't think 0.22 will ever become stable.

Is there any will to add time-shift recording capability to XBMC? Or maybe port XBMC as a frontend to Myth?
XBMC is already a basic frontend to myth. It will be more so once the work in the PVR branch is completed.
Cool. Where can I learn more about this?

As a frontend does it interface to the database? Honor commercial-skip? How far along is the PVR branch? Are there SVNs?
Quantumstate Wrote:Cool. Where can I learn more about this?

As a frontend does it interface to the database? Honor commercial-skip? How far along is the PVR branch? Are there SVNs?

Search the forums for "Mythbox" (the XBMC myth frontend). Also search for "Unified PVR" & "Commercial skip".
There's builtin myth support, no need for that script. Should be info in the wiki, otherwise search the forums.
Just out of curiosity where have you seen "continuous in-fighting amongst devs there"? I have been a long time support of mythtv and still am even though I have decided to jump over to the xbmc camp.

I have never seen evidence of fighting but it will be sometime before mythtv can do some of the things that xbmc can. But on the other hand there are things that it does that xbmc does not

My main reason for leaving was that it was so hard to help out with code development. I've submitted a lot patches that have taken years sometimes to get in. When I look to fix a problem and ask for help/guidance often there is no reply. While it is open source, much of it is "closed" development at the discretion of the particular dev.

It was a hard decision with all the time I have invested in mythtv, but I think I am better off putting my coding efforts to work here instead. Time permitting, I hope to work on a mythtv frontend for the unified pvr branch.

mythbox aims to be more like the actual mythtv frontend in terms of capability. While xbmc has native mythtv support it is not very advanced in comparison to a real mythtv frontend. However, you are better off with the native support, the mythbox script is a work in progress and does not completely work, I have not been able to get it to work completely. The unified PVR branch is a work in progress also so I wouldn't try that yet, besides it doesn't currently have a working mythtv client.
wstewart, their in-fighting isn't overt, but it's a hidden turf war which has coalesced over time into a very rigid and intolerant system. Legitimate bugs are invalidated swiftly and with extreme prejudice, and honest suggestions are punished with humiliation and derision. It's turned into a rather nasty climate. Creative and productive ppl tend to also be sensitive, and they are the first ones run off when things are unsafe like that, apparently as you were. Life is too short for crap.

Myth now does what most of its devs want it to do, and so there's no progress. They are discouraging and stifling innovation, and on IRC they have all but agreed that 0.22 is almost identical to 0.21. I have always thought Myth's setup to be disorganized and have missed alot of features it could have; but I say it pretty much will stay what it is now.

I am hoping that more good coders will defect to XBMC, as it has a great start. It would be great if it's its own PVR, but it would also be fine with me if it's only a frontend to Myth.

However in another forum I am being told this about XBMC:
Quote:Anyway, I did have a chance to try the mythtv:// protocol in XBMC before I moved, and it worked just fine with some notable limitations: there's no OSD, so in order to change channels, you have to back out to the guide (which you have to manually refresh). Also, you can't schedule recordings, but I don't mind using mythweb for that.

Playback was fine, though: I could adjust aspect ratio and apply deinterlacers. IIRC, I could even pause, rw, and ff live tv.

I never tried the "mythbox" python scripts -- they've always been problematic.

I think that most people have resorted to launching mythfrontend from within XBMC using shell scripts to change volume settings, etc.

Mythtv integration is a result of a "Google Summer of Code" project last year, and, sadly, I don't think that any further development is in progress. There's plenty enough interest, though, and I think that we should rally the devs to give it more attention.

Even if 0.22 gives me slicker UI choices, there are still many things that I like more about XBMC. Watching live tv seems to be the only hurdle stopping XBMC from becoming the de-facto standard in media center frontends, but that's something that is obviously doable.
that is pure bollocks.

1) mythintegration had nothing to do with gsoc - it was all done by our very own elupus. there haven't been much progress on it lately though, reason is that the code needs to be moved to a pvr plugin (see 2) and no reason doing alot of work that needs redoing.

2) the gsoc effort is still ongoing and it's looking very good at the moment. they got sidetracked by adding a general plugin framework, but that is soon settled and they will then focus on pvr again

3) obviously 2) brings with it a better ui for channel changes etc

4) you can't rally devs into doing something they have no interest in doing. you can however contribute
Good to know spiff. Sounds like some of it's bollocks.

I would like to contribute, but my chosen field is real estate and as I'm 54 there's no going back. I can however make suggestions, and when one comes up against the sort of attitude over in Myth, it's clear that it's moribund and a lost cause.

I've just been looking over XBMC and it seems there is no 64bit package? I presume I could install the Intrepid packages in Debian Testing, but I'd need 64bit. Maybe I need to compile.

I've always had to compile Myth to add the VDPAU patch, and the patch for my capture device, the R5000-HD which records DishNetwork.
yes, no 64-bit ppa as xbmc really isn't 64-bit ready yet. no devs use it...

most stuff works, some does not. according to user reports.

i did not mean 4) as directed at you personally as such, more a general comment on the idea of 'lots of users wants this, so surely we can force the devs into wanting it as well' which is basically the idea behind 'rallying the devs'
OK, I'll try compiling.

The wiki has no table of contents nor index, and searching on 64bit and mythtv gives nothing. So I guess I don't know how to use it.
have a feeling you have been cunned by our stupid site search button Smile sho will paste links in your face shortly i'm sure Wink
Unfortunately I don't know what's up or down when it comes to these topics and have never come across them in the wiki, but here is the wiki search.
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Special:Search

Which in turn returned this:
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=MythTV

Which for some reason uses a non supported skin Sad
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Moving this thread to the feature suggestion forum, as only programmers should start threads in the development forum.

Now see:
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=GSoC_-_U...R_Frontend
and:
http://forum.xbmc.org/tags.php?tag=unified+pvr

Quote:Development - Latest

Quite a few people have expressed an interest in working on this project, and now that there's a branch based on the linux/windows/osx sourcetree, anyone that way inclined should be able to download and see how things are currently implemented. There should be a fair bit of work done in the next couple of weeks so remember to check for updates. Comments are probably too thin on the ground so if you have trouble understanding anything send me an email, or even better post a question on this page's discussion tab. Also come chat on IRC: #xbmc-pvr on freenode for development and testing discussion.

SVN checkout

svn co http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/...ified-pvr/

Quantumstate Wrote:The wiki has no table of contents nor index, and searching on 64bit and mythtv gives nothing. So I guess I don't know how to use it.
Table on contents is here, just browse down:
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual

I got 12 hits when searching for "mythtv", and 2 hits when searching for "64bit" but you want this for that:
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=HOW-TO_c...ource_code
...but why someone would want to run XBMC on 64bit is beyond me, there are no benefits to it today.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:I got 12 hits when searching for "mythtv", and 2 hits when searching for "64bit" but you want this for that:
You must have some sort of majick search engine then, because I got zero when using the search bar on the wiki front page, which rational ppl would use.

Gamester17 Wrote:...but why someone would want to run XBMC on 64bit is beyond me, there are no benefits to it today.
Why wouldn't I choose 64bit? Command words are larger and can encompass more operations per, and thus it is faster. Measurably faster? I don't know, and I don't care. There is no downside. Why would you criticize my choice here?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time-Shifting?0