Sorting TV shows by current season, or single latest episode
I've searched extensively and maybe I missed it but I haven't even seen anyone ask about this...

I'd really like the ability to filter shows down to only the current season, or basically filter to anything that's aired in the past couple of months.

In addition to that, a filter that only shows the most recent episode of a TV series within the past couple of months instead of all of them.

Just a quick way to get to recently aired TV shows within a huge library without necessarily having in mind what you want to watch. (which is what the search function is good for or even just scrolling through the library is quick enough)

I often import shows that aren't in this current season so 'recent' doesn't help very much.
Try smartplaylists - you should be able to make a rule based on first aired.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Try smartplaylists - you should be able to make a rule based on first aired.

True, that works for current episodes but I found out even that list is too large. I don't think smartplaylist goes quite deep enough to do exactly what I'm looking for. I really want the option to narrow down my tv shows navigation to just the shows airing within the past 6 months or so, not every episode of every show in the past 6 months. Then I can select a show and view the current episodes. That way it's a manageable way to navigate shows because even just a current season episodes list will give me a monster list.

Is there a way to give smartplaylists a folder structure?
Not sure the show level has a "last aired" date associated with it - I suspect not.

It could probably be includable to the smartplaylists for shows - you figure out the queries and I'll do whatever else is needed, how's that?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I'm not sure I entirely understand your post. Is there a way to modify the TV Shows plugin to filter using a smart playlist? I understand the basic smart playlist but I want to apply it to the TV shows content type more or less. How exactly does the hide watched content work and can it be modified to filter how I want to?
Smartplaylists can work for tvshow content type, yes.

As I indicated in my previous post, however, it doesn't contain information on the "last aired" date, so you can't filter at the tvshow level on that field - you can only filter the episodes on that field currently.

So what you require is:

1. Support for "last aired" field in the "tvshows" smartplaylists.
2. Ideally some way to make that filter apply to subfolders.

Number 1 is achievable by coming up with a suitable SQL query to get the information out of the database, and then adding support for configuring that query to the smartplaylists codebase.

Number 2 is a much trickier thing to do. I'm not sure how you'd do it with the existing codebase, so I suspect it would need a lot more code alterations.

If you know SQL, then you could assist in getting number 1 done. If you don't, then you'll have to wait until someone else that does have the required skills feels like adding such a thing.

Number 2 will require quite a bit of thought. As it happens, the team is currently thinking through video library improvements, and this sort of thing is something I want to try and incorporate, assuming it's doable.

Cheers,
Jonathan

That makes more sense. I'll dig in to it.
This might be of help:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6639

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sorting TV shows by current season, or single latest episode0