Help fixing jerky video
Hello.

I've been using XBMC on the XBox a long time. Now I've decided to make the jump to HD video, and I'm mounting a HTPC. It's a Core 2 Duo 5200 @ 2500 Mhz, and a Asus P57NA-VM nVidia 9300 based motherboard, running Ubuntu 9.04. Now I'm running a self-compiled XBMC, SVN 20522, but I've tried other versions and PPA's with the same results.

The problem is that I got jerky video when playing x264 HD MKVs. Both 720p and 1080p. With VDPAU activated the CPU is working at about 10%-25% load, but the video is anything but smooth. WMV files (720p and 1080p) works smoothly (although it has another problems, but plays well). And I've played those MKVs using mplayer and vlc, and they run smoothly with only some minor frame drops due to the lack of GPU support. I've also tried the smoothvideo functionality, but it doesn't help.

I don't know what to try now... any ideas?

Thanks.
512mb allocated to GPU in BIOS? Try with Vsync enabled in appearance settings too (if its not already).
AllanMar Wrote:512mb allocated to GPU in BIOS? Try with Vsync enabled in appearance settings too (if its not already).

I have 512Mb to GPU and Vsync is also enabled. No luck.

Thanks.
I have the same problem, and it is related to the latest builds. I am trying to find a build from the end of March to fix it. I will fire up my other machine that is working perfectly and get the exact build that we need. This machine was working great, but I went ahead and downloaded the latest SVN 20445 and 20524 to see what was newly added and now have a DB playback problem.

I have the previous march build, but get errors when running configure, so I am looking to download a another one. Been trying to iron out the errors, but thought it may be easier to just download it fresh again.

EDIT: My other machine is running alpha r 19419 and does not have any playback problem with SD, HD or BD. So how can I download either that release or 19616 for the VDR stuff. I can not find them out on the boards. Thanks
Lot's of issues and not one xbmc.log posted to a pastebin site. So sorry, but AlTheKiller took away our crystal balls so if you want any assistance, then you will need to pastebin xbmc.log.
davilla Wrote:Lot's of issues and not one xbmc.log posted to a pastebin site. So sorry, but AlTheKiller took away our crystal balls so if you want any assistance, then you will need to pastebin xbmc.log.

Oooooops... here is my xbmc.log, a session with some x264 1080p and 720p playing:

http://pastebin.com/m5e9e8a94

Thanks.
Can you try changing the resolution in XBMC to 'auto', and then close and restart XBMC. It should now start in a window, once it does so, press \ to toggle into fullscreen, and then try playing back the video once again.

Please report here with whether this works around the jerky playback.

motd
motd2k, it is much improved, doesn't display as much tearing/blocking of the BD image, but it is still jerky and out of sync on moving objects. I would say roughly a 60-70% better image than before. (svn xbmc r20524, 2.26.7.14 Intrepid kernel, 185.13 NVIDIA GPU driver)
motd2k Wrote:Can you try changing the resolution in XBMC to 'auto', and then close and restart XBMC. It should now start in a window, once it does so, press \ to toggle into fullscreen, and then try playing back the video once again.

Please report here with whether this works around the jerky playback.

motd

Same results here. The x264 files runs much more smoothly, although not as smooth as the WMVs or the mplayer or vlc. What magic does this toggle?

Well, I'm sure that this could be improved. More ideas?

Meanwhile I'm looking how to to bind '\' to a key in the remote...

Thanks a lot.
Peluko Wrote:Same results here. The x264 files runs much more smoothly, although not as smooth as the WMVs or the mplayer or vlc. What magic does this toggle?

Well, I'm sure that this could be improved. More ideas?

Meanwhile I'm looking how to to bind '\' to a key in the remote...

Thanks a lot.

Nothing new about this?
I've mapped the fullscreen toggle to number 8 in my remote, so now I start XBMC in windowed mode and can switch to fullscreen easily. But I still get a much more smooth MKV 1080p video using mplayer than XBMC, so I'm using mplayer to watch 1080p movies and XBMC to watch the less resolution videos... but it's not as cool as XBMC.

Anything I could try? I don't know where to begin.
Or XBMC can't do better?

Thanks.
i'm having the exact same problem, and i found out that the problem is the amount of ram i have i my system.
I have 1Gb ram and 512 mb of those allocated for gpu.
I tried using 3Gb of ram, and all went smooth.
FreddyKrueger Wrote:i'm having the exact same problem, and i found out that the problem is the amount of ram i have i my system.
I have 1Gb ram and 512 mb of those allocated for gpu.
I tried using 3Gb of ram, and all went smooth.

I have 2Gb on my system, with 512 for gpu. Should I try 4Gb?
i tried with 2 gb, and it went a little better.... but it still loose frames.
it was only when i tried with 3 gb that the video got smooth.
but don't go wasting your money just based on my word.... if you have any spare extra memory, you should try it.... if not, you should ask a friend to borough you some just for try.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help fixing jerky video0