9.04.1 to be released?
I see some activity on the babylon branch, including merging in changes form trunk.

1. Does this mean there will be a 9.04.1 release for linux?
2. It appears that the new MiniMeedia skin will only run on post 9.04, SVN builds will this above branch (babylon) now work with MiniMeedia.
Yea its a good idea. Especially this modification sould be in stable branch Smile
a few bits and pieces could do with being implimented in to another release of babylon

i.e - rtmp memory leak (mentioned in the BBC iPlayer thread).

in my opinion they seem to be rushing out the stable releases these days considering there was a huge gap between XBMC1 and XBMC Atlantis, now they seem to be in a rush to create stable releases every 6 months defeating the point of a stable release.

it just seems i can never get the perfect setup from xbmc because there always something missing/not supported/bugs in stable releases and svn build always contain bugs.

can we not just consentrate on getting a proper stable build out before rushing on with the next stable release (9.10)
i am all for frequent releases, for new features such as hardware decoding and new container support. I love to see progress on such excellent projects!

but i think there should be more point releases between the major releases such as 9.04.1, 9.04.2 etc, that address platform stability problems.

if we don't want to do that, then maybe the development team can identify SVN revisions that are relatively stable in their experience and provide it as it without warranties between release cycles.

a third option is to provide "tip of the branch" builds for maintained branches. but this only makes any sense if the branch itself is maintained by backporting fixes from the trunk into it.

my 2 cents..
Sorry to be a na-sayer but this all sounds like more work for teamxbmc devs.

Here's how it works, we issue a release. If there are problems with that release, we issue a maintenance release that address issues with that release.

If someone identifies a svn commit that "should" be in the release as it fixes some know issue, then bring it to the attention of a teamxbmc dev. It might go in the next maintenance release for that version or it might wait until the next version release.
rudeboyx Wrote:in my opinion they seem to be rushing out the stable releases these days considering there was a huge gap between XBMC1 and XBMC Atlantis, now they seem to be in a rush to create stable releases every 6 months defeating the point of a stable release.

Don't you think theres more to xbmc now since XBMC1? Its now supported on 3 major platforms.
TREX6662k5 Wrote:Don't you think theres more to xbmc now since XBMC1? Its now supported on 3 major platforms.

whats that got to do with this thread or my comment. of course theres alot more to newer verions.
davilla Wrote:Sorry to be a na-sayer but this all sounds like more work for teamxbmc devs.

Here's how it works, we issue a release. If there are problems with that release, we issue a maintenance release that address issues with that release.

That being said, will the check-ins into the Babylon branch released as 9.04.1 for linux? I already see a 9.04.1 release for Windows.

Thanks
Running vanilla xbmc is quite easy for the end user, however, as soon as you want to customize xbmc with plugins and skins it gets confusing. Most ask for the latest svn version. MediaStream v1.0 was released in December last year but in the release thread it still requests the latest svn version. I feel bad now for singling out MediaStream, I'm sure there are others.

Any problem that a skin or plugin has with xbmc should be addressed by a maintenance update not requiring latest svn. Can we encourage skin and plugin developers to support the current release instead of the volatile svn.
The advantage with plugins/skins/scripts using latest bleeding edge svn is that they push the development of xbmc further with new ideas and feature requests, look at aeon and mediastream for good examples
@rudeboyx

yes, that fix will make it into the 9.04.1 release.

TheUni
9.04.1 is tagged and the releases will be up as soon as the packagers can get them their. "XBMC_for_Windows-9.04.1.exe" wasn't created from the tag, so a "repack" release will replace it eventually. This is a maintenance release to 9.04 (as with all 9.04.x), so only bug fixes are included. Team XBMC does not and will not *plan* maintenance releases. They will occurs as we see fit based on the severity of fixed bugs or security issues. Please do not request or inquire about the next maintenance release or ask that X be included. There are good odds we won't know the answer until ~24hrs before it's tagged anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
9.04.1 to be released?0