Sound Issues
Hi all

I am not sure if the sticky refers to my issue, I am using the ALSA sound options, not the ones that mention Pulseaudio. I was originally having issues with VMWare when any other application was running any form of sound (even if they weren't currently in use), and switching away from the pulseaudio labelled devices cured this..

I hadn't noticed any issue with XBMC until today. I was watching something and a friend emailed me a youtube clip to watch. I paused my video and fired up the link, only to discover that youtube wouldn't play sound. I went back to XBMC and sound was not working - I had to quit Firefox and XBMC, then load XBMC again to get sound back. If I launch XBMC with any other sound playing, XBMC gives an error about the sound device in use.

Would anyone have any ideas? I like to have a lot of apps open and flick between them..including pausing a video to check something out etc..

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and XBMC Babylon, but am new to linux..

Thanks
Does anyone have an idea? If any sound at all is running when I launch XBMC, I end up having to reboot

Thanks
Please note that this isn't a linux general discussion forum, of sound doesn't work between apps but in XBMC it's not a XBMC specific problem, you are probably better off searching in for instance ubuntuforums.

However, to point you in the some direction. If pulseaudio gets fired up it usually wants full access to the alsa device, so it might hinder the other processes from getting access. Please make sure that you have completly removed pulseaudio.
Code:
sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio
Should do the trick.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I will try the pulseaudio trick, thanks. That said, every other application on my system shares the sound device quite merrily, except for XBMC, which is why I posted here.
I entered the command as you said and recieved a message that made me cancel....

"The following packages will be REMOVED:
pulseaudio* ubuntu-desktop*"

I chose no, as this seemed like a bad idea.....can you confirm that this is expected behaviour??

Many thanks..
PureLoneWolf Wrote:I entered the command as you said and recieved a message that made me cancel....

"The following packages will be REMOVED:
pulseaudio* ubuntu-desktop*"

I chose no, as this seemed like a bad idea.....can you confirm that this is expected behaviour??

Many thanks..

don't worry, it's not going to remove your desktop. it's just some useless file, can't remember exactly what it was.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:don't worry, it's not going to remove your desktop. it's just some useless file, can't remember exactly what it was.

For reference, it's just a virtual package. So if your on ubuntu server or kubuntu you can do sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop and it will download all packages that is a must to have that desktop. And pulse is apart of it, so you will indeed only take away one binary of it hence you don't have the *complete* ubuntu-desktop.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Ah...I must confess that seeing that made me a little nervous, and reading the description in Synaptic didn't make me feel any more comfortable.

That said, I did it and it works great now - Many thanks for you help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound Issues0