Hardware/Software Questions
I'm not sure if these are hardware or software questions, so apologies if I've posted in the wrong section.

I'm currently doing 3 things:
1. Deciding which htpc to buy/build.
2. Deciding which plasma to buy.
3. Ripping and converting blu-rays.

Which leads me to these questions:

1. Is the quality of the upscaling dependent on the hardware (gfx card?) or the software (xbmc)? The plasma I'm most interested apparently has average upscaling capabilities. If xbmc and/or the ION platform will do a good job of upscaling SD, then it won't matter.

2. From what I understand, there are only 2 sound cards that can currently pass through (bit-stream??) True-HD audio. If I keep only the True-HD audio in my mkv's, will xbmc/pc hardware downsample to DTS (or similar)? It takes 20+ hours to convert each blu-ray to mkv, and I don't want to have to do it all again when i get my xbmc htpc set up and find out the audio won't work.
1. Both. Yes Ion (NVIDIA GeForce 9400) and XBMC for Linux with VDPAU enabled will do a good job at upscaling SD.

2. XBMC will soon be able to downsample TrueHD to AC3 5.1 (there are no open source DTS encoders, so A52 have to do)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware/Software Questions0