Finally gave up on AppleTV, replaced it with a Mac Mini...
I have the same issue mate. I have a the latest mini and just FYI this is what I did.

I used TWO leads from the mini, one the new display port to VGA and one mini dvi to dvi to hdmi. Both of these cables go into the back of the SAME tv.

The net result is the mac sees the tv as TWO screens. This is a benifit for me as I VNC into the second screen for doing my torrents, itunes etc and the first screen is able to stay full screen XBMC all the time.

Secondly mini display to VGA for what ever reason does not have the overscan issue that the DVI/HDMI as.

Give it a go.
Garyi - That is a great idea, except my mac mini has a full size dvi, no mini-dvi + displayport. Sad

But for future reference, do you set both screens to the same resolution/size?
And is that 720p or 1080i or a straight resolution?
I had same problems with my mac-mini and my 42" TV after I upgrated to 10.5.7

I fixed that with SwitchResX. But the trick is to use like this:
from Preference Panel> switchResX> click on Export EDID.
This will save a file named as your monitor model.
Open it with TextEdit, scroll down and find your max native resolution.
In switchResX pref.panel go to Resolution>Custom and click (+) Add
Add all your Timings Settings copying from file saved (Export EDID)

Regarding launching XBMC from frontrow you can check this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32612
Hi philu the latest minis have two display outs on the back which enables me to do the above. They are both set to 1080i which is what my screen is.
This issue about resolution comes up often. Most modern TVs have some kind of PC input setting for one of the HDMI inputs. They go by different names. I guess that must be the "Just Scan" on the Mitsubishi. On my Panasonic, I found it buried deeply in the menus somewhere and it's called something like "HD 2". Extremely unintuitive, but at least they made it very had to accidentally enable. The manual didn't help much except to tell me which connector to use for the the PC input. Maybe your manual is better.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Finally gave up on AppleTV, replaced it with a Mac Mini...0