TV Shows and DVD exports
kees667 Wrote:Found out the hard way about video_ts.ifo library support. I just converted a full season to Iso and converted the naming system. Then ran update video library but in Library they still don't show up. I see the series name but zero episodes.

Folder set up as follows
TV Shows (content set to tv shows)
tv show name
Season 1
s01e04e05e06.iso

What am I doing wrong?

Bump.

I'd like to know what he's doing wrong as well, because it looks like I'm gonna have to convert all my ripped TV show DVDs to .iso files.

Kind of bummed if it's really true that XBMC doesn't support TV show DVDs ripped in file mode. Ripping to files seems like a pretty common thing, maybe because it seems like more media players are able to open a DVD by opening the video_ts.ifo file than trying to open a .iso file.

Is there no way to make a .nfo file for each TV show DVD and have XBMC just get the show name, a cover art path, and maybe a description that I manually enter from that file?
Is this still up to date information or is there now a naming convention in place that solves the issue?

I am about to embark on a 300+ dvd rip and want to choose the correct format, ensuring each episode displays correctly in library mode Smile
schooleydoo Wrote:Is this still up to date information or is there now a naming convention in place that solves the issue?

I am about to embark on a 300+ dvd rip and want to choose the correct format, ensuring each episode displays correctly in library mode Smile

Historically since VIDEO_TS has been unworkable for TV shows, most Mac users have used MacTheRipper to do a chapter/title extraction of an individual episode to a single VOB file (if needed MTR will join multiple original VOBs in to one big file). This allows you to keep all the original video quality, all the audio tracks, all the subtitle tracks but keep each episode as an individual file to make it easier to select an individual episode for playback in the XBMC library. For example

/TVShows/Doctor Who/Season 12/S12E01.VOB
/TVShows/Doctor Who/Season 12/S12E02.VOB
/TVShows/Doctor Who/Season 12/S12E03.VOB
/TVShows/Doctor Who/Season 12/S12E04.VOB

There is however another way, you can use MakeMKV to extract the episodes from the DVD to produce an MKV file per episode. MakeMKV leaves the video, audio, and subtitles untouched but wraps them in an MKV container. This approach is a bit quicker as MakeMKV can queue up multiple episodes in one go, and also produces a better playback result as it keeps the DVD chapter breaks, and also makes it easier to select alternative audio or subtitle tracks as it keeps the naming of the tracks. MakeMKV produced files used to give QuickTime and Perian indigestion although VLC coped ok but this was fixed a couple of updates ago.

For most of my TV shows I now plan to redo them using MakeMKV. A handful of mini-series I will probably leave as ISO images.
I don't get why XBMC can't just play a full DVD copy with .VOB's, like Media Center does, no matter whether it is a movie or TV show. I can fix the naming with Media Manager and I can right click then play the files fine with full episode control so it seems someone can't see the forest through the trees by making the naming so ridgid to get it to work in Library. All I need is to name it correctly and get a decent thumb and that is it. Why the additional complexity and why not just have one library like most media players do? I liken this to the clunky way Dharma would be put into and out of Library mode, but Eden now allows you to just select one or the other. This is called useability and I hope XBMC continues to improve it. Can someone please explain this to me? I love XBMC, but man it can be frustrating at times when issues like this pop up.....

Thanks!
(2012-07-13, 00:04)Rexy624 Wrote: I don't get why XBMC can't just play a full DVD copy with .VOB's, like Media Center does, no matter whether it is a movie or TV show. I can fix the naming with Media Manager and I can right click then play the files fine with full episode control so it seems someone can't see the forest through the trees by making the naming so ridgid to get it to work in Library. All I need is to name it correctly and get a decent thumb and that is it. Why the additional complexity and why not just have one library like most media players do? I liken this to the clunky way Dharma would be put into and out of Library mode, but Eden now allows you to just select one or the other. This is called useability and I hope XBMC continues to improve it. Can someone please explain this to me? I love XBMC, but man it can be frustrating at times when issues like this pop up.....

Thanks!

Just because someone else can do it doesn't mean it's easy.
(2012-07-13, 00:43)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 00:04)Rexy624 Wrote: I don't get why XBMC can't just play a full DVD copy with .VOB's, like Media Center does, no matter whether it is a movie or TV show. I can fix the naming with Media Manager and I can right click then play the files fine with full episode control so it seems someone can't see the forest through the trees by making the naming so ridgid to get it to work in Library. All I need is to name it correctly and get a decent thumb and that is it. Why the additional complexity and why not just have one library like most media players do? I liken this to the clunky way Dharma would be put into and out of Library mode, but Eden now allows you to just select one or the other. This is called useability and I hope XBMC continues to improve it. Can someone please explain this to me? I love XBMC, but man it can be frustrating at times when issues like this pop up.....

Thanks!

Just because someone else can do it doesn't mean it's easy.

So what is the technical reason why it can't be done?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Shows and DVD exports0