Automatic video mode switching when loading game
posting this here (and will cleanup the 'other' incorrect thread)

i got a pal xbox and when i run a ntsc games it now cherry switches it to ntsc. but when i igr and my dash (xbmc) restarts, my xbox is now in ntsc mode. it would be nice if xbmc could detect and change back to pal (as pal is my preferred choice for ui, higher resolution)

a600 said:

Quote:i also have a pal xbox but don't have that problem. when i igr after playing a ntsc game, xbmc is set, as always, to pal60.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

added
just for the record, do i get this right.
the autoregion option do not write to the eeprom, instead the copy in the ram is patched?
so i'm at no risk render my eeprom useless if sh.t happens.

kk
yes you are correct
setting "auto switch video mode based on game region" to "on" and then rebooting results in my xbox hanging on the "x" splash logo of the bios boot screen.

setting the "auto switch ...." to "off" and then rebooting works fine.

deleting the contents of the 0face008 folders under tdata and udata fixes the problem (until the next time "auto switch...." is selected).

xbmc is running as dashboard. i've been using xbmc as dashboard for around 6 months with little problem. everything is in its standard location (.xbe and xboxmediacenter.xml on c:, everything else in e:/apps/xbmc/ and "home" tag set accordingly). as i said, everything's fine if the "auto switch based on game region" flag isn't set.

have tried about 4 different recent versions of xmbc including the 07-15 cvs, 06-04 pimped and 05-30. all installs have been as clean as possible (deleted e:/cache, x:, y:, z:, 0face008 folders and all of e:/apps/xbmc). the only edit to the xboxmediacenter.xml has been to set the "home" location to e:/apps/xbmc/.

system details:
ntsc (japan) system
xecuter x2 4977 bios
matrix modchip

any thoughts would be appreciated. have a feeling it's related to the xbox being ntsc.

i can post the contents of 0face008 folders, xboxmediacenter.xml and xbmc.log if they would help.

many thanks for all the hard work on xbmc.
please do. you can also contact me via #xbmc on efnet, as i'll need help sorting this out.

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

after much conversation on irc (many thanks for your time jonathan), it appears that the xbox is continuously soft reseting (possibly between ntsc_m and ntsc_j). this looks like potentially a bios problem. i'll update the bios over the next week or so and re-post if this solves things.

does anyone else with an ntsc box (particularly japanese) have a similar problem?
i used to put my xbox in ntsc because most of my games require to if they want to function properly. but because there was this option (switch to correct video mode based on game region) i put my xbox into pal, because xbmc is much more sharper en detailed... nonetheless, if i run a game, let's say sh4 (from hdd) i notice that the video region has not been changed, am i doing something wrong?
most likely the game is (wrongly) set to 'mixed region' in the .xbe

lots of those around and nothing 'automatic' to do about it. i have been plundering adding 'launch in pal' 'launch in ntsc' to a contextmenu in xbmc, but haven't gotten around to it yet..
hi,

i'm probably responsible for this mess Smile i never had a ntsc-j box to test with.. will have a look at the src now
spiff has done an excellent in the cvs with his country patch switching. but i have noticed that when you insert a dvd-rom game it's not added to the programs database like music/videos are. if this could be coded to do so it would mean that dvd-rom's would also switch regions upon launch.

and a pretty please... Smile as at the moment the only way is to transfer the dvd to harddisk and run that way. (very long winded) and i don't like eprom switching to much with enigmah.

thank you guy if you can take a look. and thank again spiff for the help with my bios.
fixed in cvs
this is what i mean! unbelievable speed and a very talented coder. spiff i owe you many thanks yet again.

if fact i owe the entire xbmc team a huge thank for the great media center your have created amongst yourselves.

thank guys. :thumbsup:
i hope you realize that still no info is saved. but atleast you can manually change the region now.. and xbe header values will be correctly used..
hi,

this is my first post here. because there is only one option i am missing in xbmc.

i know that i can change the region setting for games to start with the default region. this is great so far. but would it be possible to do this only for specific gamesHuh

like i start all my games with the dash-default region when i hit the "a" button. when using the "white" button (or any else) a menu could pop asking asking for starting the game in it's own default region (like the switch i can enable in the settings). would something like that be possible?! it doesn't need to be stored or anything else... just for the game i just started.

if any more explenation is needed just ask!

thx for your patience!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic video mode switching when loading game0