[LINUX] "xbmc" vs. "xbmc-live" packages for Ubuntu?
Question 
Hi!

I have a (probably) easy question. In Ubuntu, what's the difference between the xbmc and the xbmc-live package? I was under the assumption that xbmc-live is the livecd version of xbmc, and the xbmc version is the package that runs on top of a base install of ubuntu.

However, the sticky says to install xbmc-live, and before I do this, I'm a little uncertain about what I'll gain by doing this.

Thanks!
It'll turn your ubuntu installation into an XBMCbuntu installation - i.e. an XBMC settop box type thing. Do not do this if you actulaly want to use your machine for anything other than XBMC.

i.e. you were right on with exactly what you thought the packages did.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

im lovin XBMCbuntu on Jaunty minimal. i put xbmc-live on a dedicated htpc in the living room
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
That's good to know. I'm thinking of doing the same exact thing. I've been running xbmc on the ubuntu server for quite some time now, but have recently upgraded to jaunty. I've followed the info in the sticky but stopped when it started talking about installing xbmc-live.

Being that there's not a whole heck of a lot of documentation on what xbmc-live does when you install it with apt-get, is it easily reversible with 'apt-get remove'?

The reason why I'm asking is because I do use my machine for other stuff... For example, downloading from a nntp server, extracting files, and things like that. I don't use the display for anything other than xbmc though. Everything else I do on the box, I ssh into it remotely.

I'm just really wondering what I will gain by installing the xbmc-live package. How is it different than starting xbmc from a .xsession file in your home directory?

Thanks!
Content of xbmc-live package already explained here.
l.capriotti Wrote:Content of xbmc-live package already explained here.

Thank you very much for this information. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] "xbmc" vs. "xbmc-live" packages for Ubuntu?0