Quick question so I know where to start...
Hi all,

I have had some experience with Ubuntu about a year ago and was a frqeuent member of the Ubuntu forums, but I went off the boil for a while and have basically forgotten everything I know. (though been an engineer I will most likely pick it back up fairly quickly)

Previously I was using Media Portal as I wanted an XP based HTPC machine and MP allowed me to use my TV card for Tivo like functionality as well. Unfortunately I had more problems than I bargained for and ended up using XBMC as an interim solution. I say interim because I wanted the TV functionality and was killing time until I fixed MP....the problem was I'm now hooked on XBMC Laugh

I looked around and discovered MythBox and basically decided that in order to keep my setup to one machine and as simple as possible that I should finally go back to Ubuntu and give XBMC a shot on that platform.

I've been reading around and discovered the XBMCbuntu Wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

I like that install method because my HTPC will be a dedicated unit and it appears to be nice and clean, and I assume would also boot faster. Though please correct me if I am wrong.

So now that I've given some detail about the direction I'm going in I might actually get to my question!

If I installed XBMC on my machine as detailed in the XBMCbuntu wiki, what would the best way for me to get Live TV working be? Would it be to use the MythBox plugin and hence have to install Mythbuntu on the machine as well for the TV server back end? Or would the VDR project install be the way to go as listed here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45314

Keep in mind I would like to be able to schedule recording or TV, watch and rewind Live TV etc (Tivo style basically) so I'm not sure what the limitations are on either of those options as they appear to offer an identical final product.

Or all said and done may it be better for me to install XBMC in a completely different way, like a full install?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to be as clear as possible so if you guys need any clarification please ask and I'll be more than happy to spill the beans!

Cheers.

- Matt
If you are planning to use this machine as myth backend then I will go with full ubuntu install or at least add some X manager to it. Just for setting mythtv correctly you will need some X window manager.

As for vdr this is probably not needed but there are other headaches taking this approach.

I didn't use xbmc as a client for tv lately but from my previous experiance:

If you want stable tv with all kind of functionality (recordings, epg, etc...)
stay with original mythtv client (or vdr depending on your preferences and knowhow)
Just write a simple script that switches off xbmc and turn on your tv program and vice versa.
Yeah I started the project last night with a full install of Ubuntu 9.04 (and quickly found out how much I had forgotten lol). Once I've got all the hardware running correctly I will most likely go for MythTV and try to use MythBox inside XBMC as the client - but only because I'd rather keep everything running under XBMC.

If I have significant problems or can't get a function I really want working then I'll go down the route you have suggested.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quick question so I know where to start...0