Request functionality for "Play directly from DVD-Video directory" option setting?
Lightbulb 
Dear XBMC developers,

Recently, I moved from MediaPortal to XBMC and I have to say that I am impressed with this great program. Absolutely great. But also I would like to let you know that I am missing some basic functionality in XBMC which would be great if it could be implemented in a future release of XBMC.

The fact is that I do not want to use the Library mode in XBMC. Instead I would like to use the File mode of XBMC. But in File Mode, I am missing a functionality called "Play directly from DVD directory". With this functionality, when you press the OK button on a DVD directory (which has a VIDEO_TS folder below), the DVD is automatically played. To me, this functionality does not sound too complex to implement. Implementing this would be something like "when the OK button is pressed, if the directory below is a VIDEO_TS, then start DVD, else -do something different".

Now I hear you guys saying that we already have this functionality in XBMC which is called "Stacking". Stacking certainly plays a DVD directly from a directory but it also does a whole lot more. And "this whole lot more" causes a lot of problems with my DVD directory structure on my 8 TB NAS device. I think stacking should never work on DVD directories, only on files. Furthermore, the stacking implementation is buggy. The sorting does not work correctly and also the stacking does not work always as wanted. It would be much nicer to have besides stacking the other function called "Play directly from DVD folder".

In order for you guys to understand what kind of problems I have at the moment with stacking I'll give you a detailed example below:

My "GodFather" directory looks in File Mode as follows:

GodFather, The
|____ GodFather, The - Bonus Material
|____ GodFather, The - Part 1
|____ GodFather, The - Part 2, Disc 1
|____ GodFather, The - Part 2, Disc 2
|____ GodFather, The - Part 3

In Stacked Mode, Part 1 and Part 3 will be assembled together because of the stacking algorithm used in XBMC. It will show like this:

GodFather, The
|____ GodFather, The
|____ GodFather, The - Part 2, Disc 1
|____ GodFather, The - Part 2, Disc 2

Why the Stacked function in XBMC does not join the two discs of part 2 is a mystery to me, but it certainly is a bug because it should. Anyway, this joining of the stacked mode is not really desired by me, so I have to rename the directories as follows:

GodFather, The
|____ GodFather, The - Part One
|____ GodFather, The - Part Two, Disc One
|____ GodFather, The - Part Two, Disc Two
|____ GodFather, The - Part Three

This way, I avoid that directories of different DVD discs will be stacked.

With a simple functionality like "Play DVD directly from directory" it is avoided that I have to rename a lot of folders on my 8 TB NAS. And furthermore, I think stacking should never work on DVD directories with a VIDEO_TS folder. Stacking is intended for files.
Please construct a dummy filesystem (zero byte files) that exhibits this behaviour, and post a ticket on trac.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Request functionality for "Play directly from DVD-Video directory" option setting?0