Aspire Revo - no Audio through HDMI
Hi all would appreciate a bit of help from some of the linux gurus on this one if possible.
I used the latest XBMC live release (9.04.1) and installed it to the HD on my Revo which i got yesterday (but i have been using XBMC for a long time). Its working like a dream except for a very annoying problem. I cannot get any sound through the hdmi output. The sound works fine through the front headphone jack (its a little hissy but more than usuable). I have read around a fair bit and tried setting it to analogue/digital with hdmi for device and pass through. AlsaMixer looks to be ok:
[AlsaMixer v1.0.18 (Press Escape to quit)]
Card: HDA NVidia
Chip: Generic 10de NVIDIA MCP7A HDMI
View: [Playback] Capture All
Item: Master [dB gain=0.00]
< Master > Headphon PCM Front Mic Mic Boos IEC958
all of these are set to the high on the bar and have a 00 rahter than an mm.
An aplay -l gives me:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

One last piece of info, if i set my hdmi port on my tv to analogue rather than digital or auto then i get the same hiss i get through the headset but still no actual audio. (not sure if that helps).

Many thanks

PS if anyone is thinking of getting a Revo but has any questions or things they want me to try then let me know. I bought the linux low cost version and I am very impressed so far.
go into audio settings and change the audio devices to "HDMI" via the keyboard

you still won't hear any navigational/button sounds, but music and videos should play fine

also, if the revo is directly connected to your TV set, you might want to check stereo downmixing
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thanks Hannes. I will try that, I have tried setting Audio device to "hdmi" lower case and that didnt work but I will try capitalised and see what happens.
lower or upper case makes no difference as long as you change it for Audio Output Device AND Passthrough Output Device

again, this procedure is confirmed to be working on the Acer Revo platform. if this is not working for the zotacs, somebody with a more thorough understanding than myself needs to have a look at the ALSA settings and devices Wink

for the next XBMC (live) revision, I suggest drop-down menus for the audio hardware if possible.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
taken from my other posting

"I did have to change a couple of settings though.

settings > system > audio hardware >

analog
audio output = "hdmi"
downmix multichannel audio to stereo = enabled

this is for bog standard audio, change anything else you need for your setup."

this is what settings i have used, on my revo, i updated the alsa mixer which did nothing, and then re-installed live and set the above settings, and this worked, as said though, there is no navigation sounds through hdmi (which gave me a headache).

after that it may be your settings on your telly.

hope this helps.
right that did not work at all, HDMI needs to be lowercase as i suspected. Using "HDMI" causes an unknown audio device error. I have however fixed my problem by turning off the sound card in the bios and let XBMC boot then rebooting and turning the sound card on in the bios and letting XBMC boot again and setting the settings to either Digital/Analogue and the audio device to "hdmi" lower case as I had it before. Hope this helps anyone out who might be having the same problem with a revo. I had to do a similar thing to the network card, it had no lights till i disabled it and re enabled it in the BIOS
Thanks monkey yeah i saw your post before but you didnt seem to be having the same problems as myself. Glad to see a fellow Revo user out there. They really are great little boxes. Did you just install from the Live or did you do a proper install eg ubuntu first etc? I have seen that there is a new Nvidia driver release out there which looks tempting had you tried it yet?
prereality Wrote:right that did not work at all, HDMI needs to be lowercase as i suspected. Using "HDMI" causes an unknown audio device error. I have however fixed my problem by turning off the sound card in the bios and let XBMC boot then rebooting and turning the sound card on in the bios and letting XBMC boot again and setting the settings to either Digital/Analogue and the audio device to "hdmi" lower case as I had it before. Hope this helps anyone out who might be having the same problem with a revo. I had to do a similar thing to the network card, it had no lights till i disabled it and re enabled it in the BIOS

you know on first install, whe i went into network interfaces the lan and wlan where both disabled, however after re-installing xbmc they just worked not problem, didnt have to disable> enable them, reason being that before i had even got to the priblem of disabled lan / wlan cards i had to do a re-install due to a problem with sound card.

but good tip!!

i have just done a straight live install to the hdd, the revo is simply my media center nothing more nothing less, so no need for OS if you knwo what i mean.

the new drivers, i m not sure which ones, but i have updated my live cds drivers, there is a pot on here (search my user name you`ll find it) , i just downloaded the drivers and slapped them into the xbmc iso , burnt to rewriteable and then re-installed, so new drivers installed automatically, in the system info it now shows ION chipset etc etc.

hope this helps, and yes great little machines, think i`ll upgrade to the dual core version, but i reckon for now i`ll wait a while and see what is released Big Grin
prereality Wrote:right that did not work at all, HDMI needs to be lowercase as i suspected. Using "HDMI" causes an unknown audio device error. I have however fixed my problem by turning off the sound card in the bios and let XBMC boot then rebooting and turning the sound card on in the bios and letting XBMC boot again and setting the settings to either Digital/Analogue and the audio device to "hdmi" lower case as I had it before. Hope this helps anyone out who might be having the same problem with a revo. I had to do a similar thing to the network card, it had no lights till i disabled it and re enabled it in the BIOS

It appeared you had exactly the same issue as me. I tried the enable / disable trick with all the hope in the world... but nadda Sad

I have entered hdmi (along with other combinations), but hdmi produces no error like the audio is being output, but no sound. checked in the mixer and audio outputs all on full wack. Now I am stumpted. Will do a reinstall (from the live cd) but I cant see it making any difference since i basically did a fresh install already.

Any advice would we welcome
Do you guys have sound on anything, I had issues with DTS not playing on my revo after updating the svn, I think at the time it was svn 22290.
Have you guys updated xbmc atall using the ppa.
You might have to downgrad to a stable version if you have updated. Im not sure if the bug has been fixed Smile
Can anyone tell me the sound default settings please?
I changed mine to HDMI in the hope I would get sound but I just got an error everytime "sound failed to initialise".

I think sound through HDMI on my ASRock is a bigger issue than just how XBMC is handling it --- I didn't even get sound in Windows.

For now I just have a crappy stereo connection running straight from the headphone jack of the ASRock out to my stereo speakers :p

edit: Fixed. Simply changed the sound settings in WinXP control panel from "rear 2 speakers" to the other option (whatever it was, I can't remember). Hope that helps anyone having this problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aspire Revo - no Audio through HDMI0