Sharing across a network in Windows 7?
(I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for this forum or the xbox forum, sorry)

I've been running an xbox with XBMC down in my basement, running a 150ft ethernet cable up to my office with all of my movies, tv shows, etc. stored on a machine running Windows XP. Recently I upgraded to the Windows 7 beta (64bit version, not sure if that's the problem). I shared the drive across the network just as I had with XP. When I click on "Network" on the computer I can see the drive just fine. It is completely unavailable to the xbox in the basement. I've been nosing around the advanced settings, and discovered the option to turn off 128-bit encryption and enable devices that use "40 or 56" bit encryption, not sure if that is the problem but I haven't been able to try it just yet.

Ideas? Help? Thanks.
I think I had to deal with this at one point. The issue is that Windows 7 likes using a new sharing method called "homegroup" or something. I'm not near my network at the moment to deal with it, but I think if you go to your network and sharing settings, you can turn off homegroup in order to enable the old method.
I disabled homegroup, but to no avail.

I had an idea earlier though. When I was on XP, I ran Zonealarm firewall and always had to specifically allow the IP of the xbox otherwise it would not work properly. Unfortunately, there is no version of Zonealarm for Windows 7 yet. I'm trying to figure out how to allow a specific IP through the windows firewall, since I'm not quite ready to just turn it off completely.
Do you logon with a password in windows 7 ?
If not, try that.
I have the same setup except I'm using windows 7 "RC" x64 instead of the Beta and it's sharing media to my xbox in the basement. I do have homegroup enabled however I'm sharing my media using standard windows file sharing. I didn't really look into the home group thing at all.

As well my Windows 7 has UAC competly turned off and I don't login with a password.

Cheers,
Darren
Gotta bump this...I just installed win 7 build 7232 x64 on a new pc. My old one which was running my media died. The new PC is running fine but my xbox doesnt see it at all. In fact, if I ever boot with the old hard drive it still doesnt recognize my media shares.

Anyone else?
I wrote this in another thread..I'm on x86 though.

In case anyone stumbles on this thread...I updated to a new build and couldn't get smb access from my XBOX. I must have set up computer as a business network and for some reason couldnt get smb access.

How I solved:
Type Workgroup in search box
Click network ID
Click this computer is on a home network not business
Restart

Worked for me
Also... For XP usres going to Vista or Win 7; For some reason Microsoft changed the name of the default network group. Make sure you are actualy on the same network (MSHOME or WORKGROUP).
Same problem here- windows 7 64bit will not share anything with XBMC on my asrock 330ht...
Exclamation 
Me too! With 2 PCs that used to work great! Now I've got nuttin....they are where all my files are stored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hurry with the help wagon please!!!......
In window 7, right-click on the folder you want to share and select properties then the sharing tab and click on Share. In the box it should list Homegroup, your username, and EVERYONE. If it doesn't have EVERYONE listed, click on the dropdown arrow above the box and select EVERYONE and then click on ADD. Now EVERYONE should be in the list. If it still doesn't connect try rebooting both machines.
McPostal Wrote:In window 7, right-click on the folder you want to share and select properties then the sharing tab and click on Share. In the box it should list Homegroup, your username, and EVERYONE. If it doesn't have EVERYONE listed, click on the dropdown arrow above the box and select EVERYONE and then click on ADD. Now EVERYONE should be in the list. If it still doesn't connect try rebooting both machines.

Did not fix it. See this thread for more.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sharing across a network in Windows 7?0