Inexpensive DVD -> HDMI with audio solution for Mac and XBMC
My TV in Living Room does not have separate analog audio inputs for its HDMI sources. Therefore I cannot use XBMC on a Mac on that TV connected with DVI->HDMI because I do not get sound.

To solve this, I ordered an item off Ebay called HDMI+DVI-I+YPbPr to HDMI Switcher for Xbox360 PS3 HDVD

Just search for it on Ebay.

It costs around $80-$90

It works... it will take an Optical or Analog audio signal and combine with the DVI input signal and output to HDMI with audio to your television!

This is how I connected it:

My black Macbook with Mini-DVI to DVI into the above switch's DVI input. Then I connected the mini-toslink to toslink input on the switch. Final connection was HDMI from the switch to the TV.

Within XBMC I had to enable digital output and disable DTS otherwise I got static. It works perfect though.

I also tested with a regular analog stereo L/R from Macbook instead of the mini-toslink and audio also worked over HDMI and could hear sound on TV.

It also will allow you to switch another HDMI source and Component video. I have tested this a bit and works fine.

The instructions for the switch are not clear how the audio inputs line up with the video inputs when switching (eg. when Component work with Toslink and DVI with analog audio or vice-versa)... I just know it works with the way I mentioned above and have not had much time to experiment with it and don't really cares since I don't really need the device for that purpose. (I think it may detect signal on the audio inputs and prioritize somehow).

Hope this helps someone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Inexpensive DVD -> HDMI with audio solution for Mac and XBMC0