Media Scan is skipping files
Hi all,

I've just finished installing XBMC (linux of course) on my shiny new setup and while I still have a number of kinks to sort out, one that is grinding my gears more than most is the media scan missing files. This results in the media not showing up in my movies library.

In the files view all the movies are there, but in Library mode some are missing. Granted I do have some oddball z-grade productions in there but it's also missing some big hitters.

Why is it doing this? I have tried different scrappers but that appears to do nothing. I have also searched this forum but unless this is a new problem (or I can't phrase my search query very well) I can't seem to find anything...

This problem appears to only be movie library related as it has not missed any TV series yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
try enabling recursive scan, if you use a mix of file level and folder level storage.
and you could consider using a media manager to generate your nfo. makes for faster scraping afterwards, plus it will stay.
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
the videos in my movies folder are all in the same folder so I dont think recursive scan will help. However I have found a media manager app that I hope will work so if that doesn't do the trick I will be back.

Thanks for the reply!
It's just a matter of the scraper failing to find your files. For example. i have no whitespaces and stuff in my filenames...so the scraper sees underscores which confuses some web services thus returning no valid information. this results in missing movies in the library view. you can easily find out with the files view: missing movies normally don't have a proper description, fanart or cover image. go to the information panel, refresh and xbmc will ask you for the movie's name - adjust it to a a senseful search query. if it still doesn't work, you could always go with .NFO files - have a look at the wiki, it's explained in detail.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
My videos are defintely labelled correctly. I had a windows build that managed to find all my videos correctly. Seen as the Linux XBMC version uses the same sources for information I don't think the names are the problem.

I will check out the wiki for .nfo information - I have no idea what that even is yet lol.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Scan is skipping files0