XBMCbuntu installation: Making an image?
so I worked hard to get an XBMCbuntu installation working the way it's supposed to be on my Acer Revo, fiddling around with proprietary nvidia beta drivers, config files, etc etc

the system, as it is now with all the scraped library information etc. is running mostly perfect. I installed everything on an 8GB SD card in my Acer Revo, boot times are okay and the menu (Aeon skin) is responsive enough. all the media files are located on a buffalo NAS.

now for the tricky point: I want to do an image of my current installation so in case I screw something completely up, I can just transfer this image back to the SD card. surely, I could just do a library export and use the XBMC live installer each time I screw something up, but the live image is somewhat too restricted for me and also still needs some fiddling around to work on the Revo.

I have a notebook with a card reader built-in, I can start a live ubuntu CD on it, so how do I do this? as SD cards are so cheap nowadays, I'd like to transfer the whole installation to a backup SD card.

thanks in advance!
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Boot of ubuntu live cd or similar and then do:

dd if=/dev/src of=/dev/destination

that should be it

Do you know what kind of ssd drive is in your 8gb unit? I ordered the 8gb linux version too, but they shipped the new linux unit that comes with a 160gb hd in it.

Also, what is Aeon like on it - still haven't got round to loading on my revo - does it lag at all?
prae5 Wrote:Also, what is Aeon like on it - still haven't got round to loading on my revo - does it lag at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf5h6QxFleE it lags a little because of the weak atom CPU, but if you don't scroll too fast through the menus and library, it's okay

btw I have the imrpession you misunderstood me: I don't have the SSD model, I have the windows version with 160GB HDD. I have win7 on the hard disk and installed XBMCbuntu completely on a SD card in the card reader. the revo is booting off the SD-card when plugged in, else it boots into win7 off the HDD. the read speed of the SDHC card is okay, comparably to the small and cheap SSDs you can find in netbooks.

but you are completely right with the dd command, that should do the job of dumping an image of the SD-card onto the HDD (have to find out what the parameters are to dump in a file) which I can then dump back to another SD-card. thanks!
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I use g4l for the same reason.. Nod

http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu installation: Making an image?0