How XBMC Media Center has changed my digital life (HTPC)
Thumbs Up 
Verified client’s contact information and location

Remotely connected to the computer with permission

Remote Access Citrix - remote restarted requested - computer frozen

My HTPC these days

Windows 7 64-bit RC

Drivers:

Latest Intel chip drivers
Latest Realtek drivers
Latest ATI drivers 9.5 (ATI 2600 XT Pro)
IMON 7.6 driver

* Other drivers were current; Windows 7 has the newest for my system

Software:

Arc soft Total Media Version 2 (HD playback/Blue-ray)
Power DVD 9 newest version (Blue-ray playback only)
Revo uninstaller
Xbmc newest SVN as of last night
Aeon new as of June 1st
SMplayer (replaced VLC)
Maximus Arcade
IMON 7.6
Google Chrome and Firefox (thinking of ditching Firefox and using chrome only on the media center soon)

As you can see I don’t run much if any software now, which is strange. Last night I wanted to do some maintenance and see what was install, not much.

What about data?

850 movies, spilt in half between the two computers on a shared network.

4000 pictures

5000 works of Music

About 4000 comics

Every single ROM for Sega (I mean all of them Sega CD, 32x, Genesis, Master System, Game gear etc), NES, SNES, all the N64 ROMs, the entire Sega Saturn collection, Neo-Geo, all the arcade ROMs since the 70s (around 100GB alone), Game boy advance, Commodore 64, and a few others I might have forgotten.

This all runs on a nice Intel Quad Core, 2 GB of dual channel 833Mhz of Ram, ATI 2600 XT PRO PCI-E, on-board SPDIF sound, 2 TB of drive space, with an LG Blue-Ray/DVD/HD-DVD player, and a nice silver-stone case to boot.

My old specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ w/ 512K Cache (Socket 939)
GA-K8N51PVMT-9
Atnec OVERTURE II
OCZ 1024MB PC3200 Dual Channel DDR Kit (2 x 512MB)
Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150
LG DVD Writer 8x
Maxtor 300GB MaxLine Pro 500 7200RPM SATAII w/ 16MB Cache
Media Portal 2.0
Firefly Remote + Beyond TV 4
Windows XP SP2 Pro - custom
Standard USB keyboard and Mouse

Whoa --------

Crazy how I went from Media Portal to Sage TV to Meedios then on XBMC.

From Windows XP to Vista, to Windows 7.

But the biggest change is how little apps I need now cause of XBMC.

I used to have 20-30 supporting applications for media portal, half that for Sage, and double for Meedios.

I used to use AC3, FFSHOW, all that crap.

Now I let XBMC play the DVD’s, I run blue-ray, and HD dvd in there own software.

I run a front view launch from IMON that lets me select my apps using the remote to launch them.

Windows 7 even made me remove more applications, no more divx etc.

I’m just finding that compared to when I first start out with Beyond TV to XBMC, my HTPC use has changed so much.

Now I can do everything I dreamed of with XBMC, and it doesn’t crash, doesn’t require me to baby sit it day and night (Bad meedios bad), and doesn’t require a hundred applications like Media Portal.

Xbmc allows me to soft all my data, in a interface that I can teach my wife to use, allow guests to use when they come over.

Xbmc allows me the freedom to control my digital life the way I want and fast. Most people think having a HTPC is complex, it used to be, can be, but Xbmc makes it simple.

I don’t mind fiddling but when you want to just watch something, listen to music, read a comic, it’s that easy.

I remember almost several months ago when I came to these forums with questions in hand about Xbmc, but if you just use it, get use to it, it becomes a part of your family.
Yep !!
All I can do is agree. Been using HTPCs ever since we only has composite video. XBMC is the greatest frontend ever created and I have used every other one before it.

I came over from MeediOS about the same time, I used it since myHTPC and I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't switch in a second.
The first three lines of this thread confuse me
andacin Wrote:The first three lines of this thread confuse me

Same here. I don't get it.
Lol I didn't noticed that to know I must have used the same word pad as I was doing my notes for work on. Ha!

Thats funny...
krypt2nite Wrote:All I can do is agree. Been using HTPCs ever since we only has composite video. XBMC is the greatest frontend ever created and I have used every other one before it.

I came over from MeediOS about the same time, I used it since myHTPC and I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't switch in a second.
Damn man, you need a new case Smile

And some grass outside!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How XBMC Media Center has changed my digital life (HTPC)0