Auto refresh - can't get to work
I am having this issue as well. I tried disabling the two items under compatibility for the exe and sometimes it switches refresh rates, sometimes it doesnt. It does cause xbmc to lose focus though, as seeker stated. As a result I have mapped alt-tab to the remote through eventghost and also mapped buttons to manually change refresh rates if xbmc fails to do so. It seems to work. This is with a Nvidia 9300 onboard.

Just curious, if someone has time to answer. What is it about HDMI that causes this problem? Over VGA it is smooth as silk, the picture is just noticeably sub par so I am willing to put up with the above workarounds for HDMI.
hmm.. a quick look at our new system for windowing does indicate that all refreshrate switching is disabled.. seems to have been a casualty of the recent directx merge.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:hmm.. a quick look at our new system for windowing does indicate that all refreshrate switching is disabled.. seems to have been a casualty of the recent directx merge.
From the last builds I tried (before hiding in a dark corner) I remember that there was no way of selecting among different resolutions/refresh combinations, thus making the autoswitching impossible.

I hope this is what you are referring to.
Murkas Wrote:Tried to bind hotkeys for different profiles with different refresh rates in ATI CCC, and it works great when executing it in windows - but when executing it in XBMC the screen flashes but when the display comes back the refresh rate isn't changed...

Anyone that has any suggestions?
I've basically given up on getting this to work, so for now I've set up 3 macros in EventGhost (one for each hz - 24/50/60hz). The macros kills XBMC, lanuches catalyst control center with a profile, then lanuches xbmc again:
Code:
<Folder Name="XBMC" Expanded="True">
        <Macro Name="24HzATI" Expanded="True">
            <Event Name="Keyboard.LCtrl+LAlt+F10" />
            <Action>
                XBMC.Quit()
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.Wait(3.0)
            </Action>
            <Action Name="Activate ATI profile 1080p24">
                System.Execute(u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ATI Technologies\\ATI.ACE\\Core-Static\\CLI.exe', u'Start Load profilename=1080p24', 0, True, 2, u'')
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.Wait(5.0)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                System.Execute(u'E:\\Program\\XBMC\\XBMC.exe', u'-fs', 0, False, 2, u'E:\\Program\\XBMC')
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.Wait(5.0)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.FlushEvents()
            </Action>
        </Macro>
        <Macro Name="50HzATI" Expanded="True">
            <Event Name="Keyboard.LCtrl+LAlt+F11" />
            <Action>
                XBMC.Quit()
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.Wait(3.0)
            </Action>
            <Action Name="Activate ATI profile 1080p50">
                System.Execute(u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ATI Technologies\\ATI.ACE\\Core-Static\\CLI.exe', u'Start Load profilename=1080p50', 0, True, 2, u'')
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.Wait(5.0)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                System.Execute(u'E:\\Program\\XBMC\\XBMC.exe', u'-fs', 0, False, 2, u'E:\\Program\\XBMC')
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.Wait(5.0)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.FlushEvents()
            </Action>
        </Macro>
        <Macro Name="60HzATI" Expanded="True">
            <Event Name="Keyboard.LCtrl+LAlt+F12" />
            <Action>
                XBMC.Quit()
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.Wait(3.0)
            </Action>
            <Action Name="Activate ATI profile 1080p60">
                System.Execute(u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ATI Technologies\\ATI.ACE\\Core-Static\\CLI.exe', u'Start Load profilename=1080p60', 0, True, 2, u'')
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.Wait(5.0)
            </Action>
            <Action>
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.Wait(5.0)
            </Action>
            <Action>
                EventGhost.FlushEvents()
            </Action>
        </Macro>
    </Folder>
The waiting actions are needed for the resolution changes to stabilize. Also note that the wait after XBMC.Quit is is not enough if you're currently playing a video, so stop playback before running these macros.

There are several combinations of OS and GPU that works, but AMD chipset with ATI GPU and Windows Vista seems to be the worst possible combination for the "adjust refresh rate" feature.

Correct me if I'm wrong but last time I checked the SVN versions the result was the same with this feature on my hardware combo. And besides that, multichannel digital audio has been broken for several months now, so the new SVN's are a no go until that's back up and running again.
Seeker,

Is the full blown profile switcher really needed on your system? I built my macro using the built-in system functions in Eventghost. It looks something like this

Code:
<Macro Name="Set Display1 to mode 1842x1036@24 Hz" Expanded="True">
        <Event Name="MceRemote.Num2" />
        <Action>
            System.ChangeDisplaySettings(1, (1842L, 1036L), 24L, 32L, False, False)
        </Action>

It works well and does not require me to switch out of XBMC at all. It even works during playback.
gferrazzano Wrote:Is the full blown profile switcher really needed on your system?
I tried that method first but for some reason it didn't reliably change the refresh rate (many times the screen just when blank for a bit and then back to the old refresh rate again). However I've later found that it might have been the order in which I turn on my receiver and tv that was the problem (HDMI hand shake issues probably). So perhaps I should revert back to using the built in functions in eventghost. This method works just as good though, so I'll keep it for now. Thanks anyway.

But changing refresh rate while playing does not work in any case for me. I do have to quit xbmc before changing display mode Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto refresh - can't get to work0