How does movie trailers for XBMC's video library/database work?
Question 
Hey i just wanna know how the trailer functions for XBMC works!?
  • Where in the GUI can i see the trailers!?
  • Is trailers grouped to the specific Movies, in my database!?
  • Is there a program for downloading trailers to all my movies, in the database - automatically!?
  • (If so, can all trailers be stored in a seperate folder: ex. d:\Trailers\ ?
  • When viewing a movie in XBMC, is it then possible to view a trailer for the specific movie, before watching it - Without having to go to a different app in XBMC to view it manually?
Go to the context menu (press 'c'), then movie information and then somewhere you will see the trailer option.

But I get no sound from the trailers Sad
Well, I use trailers without to many problems. On mine there is a trailer button on the info screen that is available when I have a trailer for it. I use Daves Trailer Page and download my trailers from there. I have them in the movie folder, I'm not sure if you can have them in a separate one or not. I can't remember what I rename them off the top of my head, I am at work and can't check, but I think it is:

movietrailer.mov

Same name for all of them. Otherwise I think you can name them like

harrypotterandthehalfbloodprincetrailer.mov

The first way is alot easier. There is a thread on it here somewhere, but I wasn't able to find it.

I can watch the trailer by going to info then trailer before watching the movie, then stop the trailer and I am at the movie. It plays full screen, but I think someone may have modded it to play windowed in the GUI by now. I haven't been able to find that yet.

I hope This helps some.
I haven't found a program that auto pulls them as of yet, and it did take awhile to put them in as I have 700 movies. I probably found trailers for about half. Very few of the older movies seem to have them.
Almost correct Big Grin

Save trailers to the same folder as your movie, and name them <movie>-trailer.<ext>. For example:

Jaws.avi (this is the movie)
Jaws-trailer.mov (this is the trailer)

The trailer must have the exact same name as the movie, followed by -trailer (as above), otherwise XBMC will recognize it as another, seperate database entry and not a trailer.
For example:
Jaws.dvdrip(1975).avi
Jaws-trailer.mov
will result in two seperate entries in the database for Jaws. One will be the movie, one will be the trailer.

As far as I know, naming them movietrailer.<ext> doesn't work, but I haven't tried it myself.

You can download trailers from dave's trailer page, movielist.com, or youtube (use keepvid to download them if needed). Youtube is especially good for the older movies.

Once they're saved, you need to reload the movies for them to show up. Depending on how many you have, it may be easier to go in and delete your videos database and just rescan your library into XBMC.

As far as the gui mod that SHen350 mentioned, there are a few mods for Aeon that incorporate a trailer preview. Not sure about other skins, as that is the one that I use.
you can also name it actually 'movie-trailer.ext' without the real name of the movie ... just like the .nfo and .tbn too
mason Wrote:you can also name it actually 'movie-trailer.ext' without the real name of the movie ... just like the .nfo and .tbn too

huh, good to know. Would have saved me some time when I set all mine up Laugh
But can i save all my trailers in 1 seperate folder, and get it to work!?
Why? do you automate the trailer download process somehow?
There are some media managers that (will) allow you to automatically get a trailer for you movie and place it in the right folder with the right naming scheme. Maybe you should consider this route, if you're worried about the manual labor.
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
bidossessi Wrote:Why? do you automate the trailer download process somehow?
There are some media managers that (will) allow you to automatically get a trailer for you movie and place it in the right folder with the right naming scheme. Maybe you should consider this route, if you're worried about the manual labor.

Standalone programs or what!? I have 450 movies in my database, i dont want to spend 500 hours to manual download trailers for all my movies... I want them automatically downloaded... Either streamed directly from an earlier found source (Ex. Automatic scan, and then trailer URL's is saved to the database) Or as an alternative i wan't them all downloaded (Automatically)

Is this possible!?
rasmuskarlsen Wrote:Standalone programs or what!? I have 450 movies in my database, i dont want to spend 500 hours to manual download trailers for all my movies... I want them automatically downloaded... Either streamed directly from an earlier found source (Ex. Automatic scan, and then trailer URL's is saved to the database) Or as an alternative i wan't them all downloaded (Automatically)

Is this possible!?

XBMC only supports local trailers (for now?).
quality of the stream is NOT a priority,
because it is only a preview of the actual file,

themoviedb.org has this field already (using the youtubeID [ex] )
this should be used and super-seeded if a local file exists
please, pretty please Rolleyes

should we have this thread moved to "Feature Suggestions"?
rPi 2&3 | android phones | fireHD8 | linux | win10 + NFS NAS w/ mySQL + props to...
libreElecyatse, titan, AELflexGet, context.manageTags (a zosky original)
rasmuskarlsen Wrote:Standalone programs or what!? I have 450 movies in my database, i dont want to spend 500 hours to manual download trailers for all my movies... I want them automatically downloaded... Either streamed directly from an earlier found source (Ex. Automatic scan, and then trailer URL's is saved to the database) Or as an alternative i wan't them all downloaded (Automatically)

Is this possible!?

Try the Ember Media Manager. A new version was just released which, as I understand it, downloads trailers. I already have all mine set up already, so haven't tested that function.
Hi guys,

I have posted my project to download trailers from youtube

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post762717

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How does movie trailers for XBMC's video library/database work?0