Using XBMC Standalone on Ubuntu?
Hi all - this is only my second post, and I'm a complete linux newbie, so forgive me.

This week I got my new Zotac ION Atom N330 (+4gb of RAM) and I've managed to get Ubuntu 9.04 working with HDMI (And sound, finally..). XBMC 9.04.1 was installed over PPA. Now, frankly, it works a treat and I'm really impressed with XBMC. (The GF loves the DVD ISO compatibility, because it means we dont' have to have them downstairs!)

However, I installed the 'full fat' version of Ubuntu with Gnome because I liked being able to use the GUI for stuff like playing with Wi-Fi. XBMC seems to work okay over the top and it auto-loads on boot, but it does occasionally decide to be a window, or I get an Ubuntu messgae popping up or something. It's also pretty slow to boot. [Not shockingly so, just not exactly wow]

What I'd ideally like to do is have the GRUB bootloader default to the XBMC Standalone version, without Gnome etc. However, I'd also like an alternative boot option to give me my GUI back when I want to play.

I have the Standalone version installed from PPA, because I was initially going to just use that. I followed the XBMCUbuntu guide, but I had a few issues (Like it would only open in a quarter of the screen) and I was also struggling with the drivers. So, now, I don't know where to start and I'm a bit worried about breaking my otherwise sound set up.

Any and all help would be MUCH appreciated.
(in the menu) System => Administrator => Login window => (give your password) => Default session => (choose XBMC).
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
Sorry if I'm being thick - but that's what I have at the moment, isn't it? My PC boots up into Ubuntu, into Gnome and then loads normal XBMC. What I want is to make that an alternative option and have the default boot process be booting Ubuntu and then XBMC Standalone (Which will have all the plugins and settings from the normal mode, won't it?)
no it isn't. using the following sequence, your pc won't boot into gnome but directly into xbmc.
The default session is where you normally specify your default Window manager (e.g. Gnome; KDE, fluxbox, etc...)
My sig should tell you i know what i'm talking about Big Grin
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
Ahh - you win! I see sessions as user sessions. So, uh, how do I get back to Gnome now? Laugh
lool. use a skin that allows you to log out (Transparency!, PM3.HD, minimeedia), then simply provide your username/password/preferred session to gdm.
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I do appreciate all this help, by the way. However, that doesn't work - I just end up straight back in XBMC.

Although, I have just realised something - the user account I created is called "xbmc" (As it's a sole use HTPC). Is this a bad thing?
hermand Wrote:I do appreciate all this help, by the way. However, that doesn't work - I just end up straight back in XBMC.

Although, I have just realised something - the user account I created is called "xbmc" (As it's a sole use HTPC). Is this a bad thing?

not per se.
you can use that user, but make sure to select GNOME as your login session on the GDM screen, and you will be fine.
of course, since you previously stated that you autostart xbmc on GNOME login, you'll probably end up in xbmc anyway, but at least you can exit it, and find a default Gnome desktop underneath.
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
Ahh - mate, you really are a star. I get overscan on my TFT so couldn't see any options other than the login!!

I was with it enough to turn off the autostart before changing the default session Big Grin
glad i could help, and welcome onboard the XBMC experience. Confusedmile:
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
bidossessi Wrote:(in the menu) System => Administrator => Login window => (give your password) => Default session => (choose XBMC).

I'm trying to this myself but I don't have the option XBMC

I have Run Xclient script (seems to be default)
GNOME
Secure Remote conection
Failsafe Gnome
Failsafe Terminal

Anyone shed any light into why I cant see XBMC as an option?

I've had XBMC running on a full ubuntu (jaunty install) for around 3-4weeks now so everything is working fine that side of things.
JUICESIX90 Wrote:I'm trying to this myself but I don't have the option XBMC

I have Run Xclient script (seems to be default)
GNOME
Secure Remote conection
Failsafe Gnome
Failsafe Terminal

Anyone shed any light into why I cant see XBMC as an option?

I've had XBMC running on a full ubuntu (jaunty install) for around 3-4weeks now so everything is working fine that side of things.

Don't forget to download xbmc-standalone package. (Should be in synaptic and should be pointed out in wiki)
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
That's what I was missing, thanks for your help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using XBMC Standalone on Ubuntu?0