[APPLETV] Library problem on Apple TV
Quote:Let me clarify my question. I am using IMDB. I can't use the hierarchy that you suggest (see below). If I could have my file hierarchy as you would propose, and I scan the Full Movies folder, would it find and categorize EVERY movie with a single scan? What is the order? Do I click on the "Set Content", assign the proper radio boxes, and go? Right now I have added the entire Media Drive. I scroll to each movie folder, then I hit "Movie Information". It then scans that movie for the artwork for that single movie.

yes, it does that every time.. first select a folder and set it as a new source, do set the content and assign the proper radio boxes, after all that is set and click "ok" it automatically scans the content of it.. after it's done you check for any mismatch, clicking on Movie Information there is the option to refresh.. it will show you the list of hits it gets from IMDB and you can select the proper one.. you can do the same for the cover and fanart.

Quote:Is "Run Automated Scan" a one shot deal? Does that mean that it doesn't even prompt for fixing art, so if it messes up as in your examples, you have to go back and fix it manually, but it does scan the entire chosen folder? I think that would be okay. No movie ID service is perfect. Does XBMC have the ability to automatically add more movies as you add them, or do you have to rescan manually as you add them? In other words, let say I use another PC to rip and copy the ISO to a NAS. Would XBMC recognize that new content has been placed there and automatically add it along with artwork, etc?

it doesn't ask anything.. it just goes until it's done while you're having a beer by the pool.. mismatches can be fixed later
it doesn't however recognises new content.. you have to either restart XBMC or select the main folder and select "scan for new content" manually

Quote:You are right that I should not use the hierarchy that I have. Understand this is searching the media off of a real media server, so this is the file hierarchy it creates. I do want to know that if I do change the ripping process and use a file hierarch like you suggest, that the categorization process is painless.

there are options in XBMC that let you show movies categorized by Genre(s) and the likes.. as another option (be it much more work) would be to create a source folder for every genre.. as your layout is /Full Movies/Genre Name/Movie Name.. it will all show up in the same "Movie" tab, but if you opt for manually scanning for content, you need to do that for every folder

Quote:Now please don't be offended my use of the term "real media server". I just mean it is not a homemade creation, it is an purchased appliance like a DVD player, so tweaking (for the most part) is unnecessary. Yes, the ATV is an appliance, but it was not engineered to do what XBMC is doing, it was hacked to do it. I do, however, see XBMC to have the ability to create an almost equal, and in some ways superior experience to this very expensive appliance. So far the interface appearance is incredible. I haven't done TV shows yet, but it looks like it may fix the problem I have harped on other companies for well over a year - categorize multiple seasons of a TV show with ONE cover art instead of like 36 (one for each DVD of each season times 9, for example). It offers IP control for high end control systems. And it seems to be supported by a rabid group of incredibly talented engineers and programmers. If only it could play uncompressed Blu_Ray ISO's.

there are many ways to play with XBMC, for instance, you can put a cover image in the movie folder, it then will use that one and ignore the ones found on the internet.. more info about all that can be found in the wiki

IF it would be possible, i would go for 5 or 10 movies with a new set up that suits XBMC and see what is better for your needs.. then take a look at the work that needs to be done to make a switch..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLETV] Library problem on Apple TV0