Is it not time to rename XBMC?
Question 
Since its beginnings as software designed and used only for the Xbox, XBMC has developed massively. I think its would be fair to say that the majority of users no longer use the Xbox at all.

I for one feel that the name is holding us back. It is not immediately obvious from the name that it works with anything but the xbox. It would probably be easier to recruit a larger community if we made this immediately obvious by using a different name.

Things have changed so much since the launch of XBMC that even the usage of the word Xbox has changed so that users will now assume it refers to the xbox 360. By changing the name we will get rid of this association with a device that it doesn't even work with.

What do the developers think? Is it time for a change, or is this going to have negative consequences?
I think we should drop support for xbox alltogether as it is dead platform. Microsoft already planning on new console for 2010. We should rename only if we drop xbox suppport.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
There are lots of threads on this.

XBMC no longer means Xbox Media Center. It is just XBMC.

thanks.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
CrashX Wrote:I think we should drop support for xbox alltogether as it is dead platform. Microsoft already planning on new console for 2010. We should rename only if we drop xbox suppport.

woa there! the Xbox subforums is still pretty vibrant afaics.
Despite the fact than it can't do HD, the Xbox is still a pretty useful "inconspicuous" and multi-purpose piece of livingroom hardware.

To just discard it is a bit harsh in my opinion.

Disclaimer: I don't even own one myself. Just as i don't own any windows/mac machine, but you won't see me throwing out the windows baby either.
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
CrashX Wrote:I think we should drop support for xbox alltogether as it is dead platform. Microsoft already planning on new console for 2010. We should rename only if we drop xbox suppport.

Thats fighting talk in these parts! - I think you'll find that a BIG percentage of XBMCers still have Xbox as ether their main platform or used elsewhere.
I'm wondering if I should close this thread before it gets out of hand... again. We already have a whole thread dedicated to the xbox support.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:I'm wondering if I should close this thread before it gets out of hand... again. We already have a whole thread dedicated to the xbox support.

Sounds like a plan Laugh
tslayer Wrote:I'm wondering if I should close this thread before it gets out of hand... again. We already have a whole thread dedicated to the xbox support.

Yes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it not time to rename XBMC?0