multichannel sound output question
Hi everyone.

I have both digital and analogue outputs on my motherboard audio.... I am currently using digital out.

This is connected to Logitech z-680 speakers, which accept either digital, or 3x 3.5mm stereo analogue (for 5.1).... and the speakers do dolbyDD/prologicII/DTS, and for glorified computer speakers they do a surprisingly good job in my small living room. THX certification on them is a bit of a joke however :-D

Anyways... I hear that the analogue inputs on these speakers produce much better sound than the digital inputs (anyone heard this?)

... So my question is, is it possible for me to put these speakers into "6 channel direct" mode... and have XBMC/ALSA (if got rid of pulse audio in my installation) decode AC3/DTS, and hopefully upmix stereo to multichannel (prologic?).

I've seen it's possible to do this sort of thing on Windows through soundcard drivers... but I've not used windows for a long time... but never really looked too hard at linux sound either.

Sorry for the long ramble.
Yup. Should be no problem. select the analog out in xbmc, disable downmixing of multichannel audio and set your default output device to plugConfusedurround51 or simply surround51 or whatever aplay -L tells you
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
You could, but you'd have to manually switch between dolby pro logic and 6 channel direct.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
multichannel sound output question0