Best stand-alone media manager for MP3 music file tagging, sorting, and XBMC artwork?
Question 
Hi.

What with the ever increasing support for music fanart, artist images, slideshows, genres etc, what is the best media manager / proggie out there right now for getting the images? (my tagging is sorted BTW it's just images now)

I currently use a mixture of for my films - media info plus for the initial scan and gather, then onto ember media manager for the fine tuning, trailers etc. This works a treat for me but now I wanna get my music collection up to scratch

I have my music in - /music/artist name/album name - all good for cd art, fanart and images.

I tried to use MIP for the music but it didn't pick up the individual artists only those in the various sections and would only let me grab one image for the fanart.

So..... can any1 give me a heads up as to what they use for their collections?

Thanks

Brent
Me too, there does not appear to be anything. I have 13000 tunes to work through. manually will hurt!
I like this one: http://www.mp3tag.de/en
You just have to make sure that the Tags in your MP3s are all fine, than XBMC has no problem to read out this Meta Data....
Cheers Beatzeps08, that's what I use now and yep all my tags are pretty much bang on (phew all 20,000 of them).

It's the fanart and artist images I wanna try and automate. I spent a stint today on htbackdrops.com today getting bits, adding them to lightbox and downloading, then copying into the relevant directory. It's this I want to speed up.

tnx

Brent
I assume we are talking about tag editors and not database management. The best tag I editor I have used is Tag&Rename. I have tried many...many others over the years and for a large library / 1000's of tags this has been the best...assuming your music is not well named to begin with.

For automatic tagging I found tagrunner to also be a valuable resource. I use it for completing and adding all the lyrics. This software works well if you have decent file naming or semi-decent tags that your looking to fill in.

Both are shareware.

Cheers.
i use MediaMonkey - great features - great performance

http://www.mediamonkey.com/
nope. It's not the tags for me that need sorting - I use a mixup between mediamonkey and mp3tag and have them all bang on.

It's the fanart and artist images that I am after. I know I can scrape them within xbmc, but I want to be able to get multiple fanarts for the artists for slideshows and the like.

So once again its not the tags for them use -

the godfather
mediamonkey
tag&rename
mp3tag

it's all the images - artist thumb, fanart, cdart etc

tnx

Brent
logictester Wrote:i use MediaMonkey - great features - great performance

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

I use Media Monkey as well, I love how powerful yet simple it is to use. I have used MP3 Tag in the past and it works great, but I find Media Monkey to be a bit more simple to work with.
meanstreak Wrote:nope. It's not the tags for me that need sorting - I use a mixup between mediamonkey and mp3tag and have them all bang on.

It's the fanart and artist images that I am after. I know I can scrape them within xbmc, but I want to be able to get multiple fanarts for the artists for slideshows and the like.

So once again its not the tags for them use -

the godfather
mediamonkey
tag&rename
mp3tag

it's all the images - artist thumb, fanart, cdart etc

tnx

Brent

i use MiP for that
For fanart and artist images (eg folder.jpg when you have an artist/album folder layout), a good way to start is to scan your music into xbmc, make sure to
enable download artist information and download album information before scanning. Xbmc will get fanart and artist images from htbackdrops if you use the allmusic scraper. Then export your music library from xbmc, make sure to export to separate files. Then you will have fanart and artist images for everything that has images on htbackdrops. That will give you a good start anyways.
yeah I tried to use MIP for the images, but it only seems to pick up the mp3s with APE tags and not the normal 1D3v2 tags

I am gonna post it in the MIP thread see if it gets me anywhere
mp3tag worked well for me under Windows. For Linux I think EasyTag is working fairly well.
johan77 Wrote:mp3tag worked well for me under Windows. For Linux I think EasyTag is working fairly well.

The issue with mp3tag is you can just do "automatically download cover art" (the picture that saves within the mp3 file), because when you try do it, it usually pops up asking "which album/picture" etc, I just want to let the scrapper get the best fit automatically, I'm not going to sit through 1000+ files to pick individual images :S
meanstreak Wrote:Hi.

What with the ever increasing support for music fanart, artist images, slideshows, genres etc, what is the best media manager / proggie out there right now for getting the images? (my tagging is sorted BTW it's just images now)

I currently use a mixture of for my films - media info plus for the initial scan and gather, then onto ember media manager for the fine tuning, trailers etc. This works a treat for me but now I wanna get my music collection up to scratch

I have my music in - /music/artist name/album name - all good for cd art, fanart and images.

I tried to use MIP for the music but it didn't pick up the individual artists only those in the various sections and would only let me grab one image for the fanart.

So..... can any1 give me a heads up as to what they use for their collections?

Thanks

Brent

I am not big on the little artist images, most of those are crappy little black and white things anyway.

I am fanart guy, I have manually went out to google images and downloaded 1920x1080 fanart for all my artsits that I could. About 25% of my artists will never have 1920x1080 fanart because the bands are either to obscure, too old or nobody has really taken their picture much,lol.

To be honest I don't even really use XBMC for music that much, so for what I have done I am satisfied.
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
+1 for mediamonkey

It takes care of my music library over lan shares, downloads everything automatically and packages it up nicely for xbmc to add to library

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best stand-alone media manager for MP3 music file tagging, sorting, and XBMC artwork?0