Ubuntu Server?
Question 
Will XBMC run on Ubuntu Server without a GUI? I'm trying to create a file/media server that will work for computers with different platforms and my Xbox 360.

Any ideas?

Scott
If you're wanting to have a main server that shares its libraries to many client, I'm afraid you're outta luck.... there's been LOTS of discussion on this topic and many people - myself included - have tried and failed.

However, if you get it working I'd love to copy what you do!

Pete
I'm not sure what some of you people are trying to accomplish or maybe completely misunderstood the whole concept of XBMC. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53670
XBMC is NOT a media server. XBMC is a media center CLIENT and player. XBMC *can* act as a UPnP server, but that's not the purpose of it. and finally, XBMC is designed to run with a full GUI.
for a file/media server that feeds multiple devices, you're better off using a dedicated NAS with SMB and maybe (as the xbox360 is really bitchy) UPnP/DLNA support.

@pete: are you interested in doing either a forum how-to or wiki entry about installing XBMC onto the Ion platform including that audio hardware stuff EVERYBODY has problems with? my english needs some polishing, and I think you are the right guy. I have an Ion/Revo-adapted XBMCbuntu guide in mind, including screenshots, and my time ATM is too reserved to do everything alone. if capriotti is okay with it, we could also work on the available XBMCbuntu wiki entry and polish it up with Ion-specific customizations.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
sure thing... there seems to be too many people trying to do things the hard way... I've spent months, first with the AppleTV and now the Revo, trying to get the easiest and most reliable way to get this sorted. Arrange for me to get a sticky and I'll do a dummies Revo version of the link I keep referring to.

As far as the server thing goes, what most people want is a master XBMC unit that then shares its library in read-only to other units - thus negating the need to manage an XBMC system in each room of the house.
Pete_London Wrote:sure thing... there seems to be too many people trying to do things the hard way... I've spent months, first with the AppleTV and now the Revo, trying to get the easiest and most reliable way to get this sorted. Arrange for me to get a sticky and I'll do a dummies Revo version of the link I keep referring to.

As far as the server thing goes, what most people want is a master XBMC unit that then shares its library in read-only to other units - thus negating the need to manage an XBMC system in each room of the house.

Trust me, if there is an easy way of doing it, I'll take it! Any specific ideas, please let me know!
@Pete_London: Write up the post and I will fix it...
So, I dunno if I'm missing something but I did a very rapid blog post the other day, mostly for own reference:

[Removed]

I don't seem to be having any issues with the ION at all right now - I'd be more than willing to play about, though.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:@pete: are you interested in doing either a forum how-to or wiki entry about installing XBMC onto the Ion platform including that audio hardware stuff EVERYBODY has problems with? my english needs some polishing, and I think you are the right guy. I have an Ion/Revo-adapted XBMCbuntu guide in mind, including screenshots, and my time ATM is too reserved to do everything alone. if capriotti is okay with it, we could also work on the available XBMCbuntu wiki entry and polish it up with Ion-specific customizations.

I have been wanting to do this myself. I would love to help if possible. I have been trying to compile various bits of info about using the ION platform for XBMC on Linux for the last few weeks since I got two Zotac IONITX-A-U boards. I would also like to start an ION specific support thread in where all us ION owners can colaborate on squeezing the most performance out of these awesome little boards. I have got some ideas and extra time at the moment and would love to contribute so please PM me or something.

-Bahndit
I have just posted my Howto:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=3...post361028

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu Server?0