• 2(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes
As for the stuck x cursor - this can be fixed by disabling the hardware cursor (have a look here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=348252&postcount=2).

X being dead after resume points to some driver issue. Can you have a look at your Xorg.0.log or dmesg after resume. You may pastebin it and show it here.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Pete_London Wrote:Had dinner with friends last night and am a hungover little puppy this morning... I'll take in some suggestions and update tonight.

What SFTP client do all you Windows users use? I don't want to make this Mac specific, but it's all I've got to play with here since I commandeered my wife's laptop as a Linux test bed.

Pete

I use WinSCP to transfer files.
I for myself do it like adding an "exit" after the xbmc call. So, if XBMC crashes, the user get logged out and automatically logged in again, so restarting XBMC.

You can even create a startup-script which is run during resume activity, which kills all running XBMC apps (should be one only), so that XBMC gets restarted by default.

Works great for me!
maybe we should also integrate the BIOS settings from here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53888

ATM I'm playing around with all the "smoothvideo" stuff and some useful xorg parameters, will post some additional settings when I'm done
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
@Hannes the hun: This is my xorg.conf (thx to haggy) which is running very good on my Zotac ION.
A you can see, I have a Sony LCD TV-set (like haggy :-) )
Perhaps you have to edit these modelines to match your TV.

Code:
root@htpc01:~# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Device0"
  Driver      "nvidia"
  VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier  "Screen0"
  Device      "Device0"
  Monitor     "Monitor0"

# Fixes issue with modesetting on xbmc
  Option      "ExactModeTimingsDVI"       "True"
  Option      "UseEDIDFreqs"              "False"
  Option      "ModeValidation"            "NoEdidModes, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, AllowNon60HzDFPModes"

# Fixes tearing/smoothvideo issues
  Option      "DynamicTwinView"           "False" # disable or you'll get tearing
  Option      "TripleBuffer"              "0" # disable or xbmc will segfault with smoothvideo

# Misc
  Option      "NoLogo"                    "True"
  Option      "HWcursor"                  "Off"

DefaultDepth  24
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       24
    Modes     "1920x1080@50p" "1920x1080@60p" "1920x1080@24p" "[email protected]" "[email protected]" "1920x1080@60i"
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  # Sony Bravia KDL-40W4000/KDL-40E4000
  Identifier  "Monitor0"

HorizSync   14.0 - 70.0
  VertRefresh 24.0 - 62.0

Modeline    "1920x1080@24p"     74.230 1920 2560 2604 2752 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
  Modeline    "1920x1080@50p"    148.500 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
  Modeline    "[email protected]"  74.176 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync Interlace
  Modeline    "[email protected]" 148.352 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync
  Modeline    "1920x1080@60i"      74.25 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync Interlace
  Modeline    "1920x1080@60p"    148.500 1920 2008 2056 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
  # fixes tearing with vdpau/vsync
  Option      "Composite"           "Disable"
EndSection

Patrick
XBMC 9.11 (SVN 28275) on minimal Ubuntu 9.04
on ZOTAC ION-A (Atom330 / 4GB / 250GB HDD / Atric Switch / Silverstone LC19 Case)
Those modelines should be brand independent.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
mulder77de Wrote:I for myself do it like adding an "exit" after the xbmc call. So, if XBMC crashes, the user get logged out and automatically logged in again, so restarting XBMC.

You can even create a startup-script which is run during resume activity, which kills all running XBMC apps (should be one only), so that XBMC gets restarted by default.

Works great for me!

Care to elaborate on adding "exit" after the XBMC call? This would resolve the only issue I'm having which sees XBMC crash to a cursor.

Thanks..

Pete
Haggy Wrote:Those modelines should be brand independent.

well, my sharp aquos can't do "real" 24p so that modeline wouldn't make much sense. are these the modelines that I can choose in the XBMC video hardware settings? also, since the old days when fiddling around with custom xorg.conf files, I'm still very careful when changing the horizontal sync and vertical refresh rates No

as I'm thinking of a reinstall, I'll play around some more with these settings at the weekend. this whole smoothvideo stuff is one of the strongest new features of XBMC, sets it apart from all these popcorn hours Cool
now if we could just get HD-audio passthrough Big Grin
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hannes The Hun Wrote:well, my sharp aquos can't do "real" 24p so that modeline wouldn't make much sense. are these the modelines that I can choose in the XBMC video hardware settings? also, since the old days when fiddling around with custom xorg.conf files, I'm still very careful when changing the horizontal sync and vertical refresh rates No

No problem. As it's all digital these days your tv should just say "invalid mode" or something like that. Fiddling with the values i saw that several times from my sony. If you run these modelines xbmc will pick them accordingly to your files if you enable "adjust refresh rate" in the settings.
you forgot to add remote install too

Code:
sudo apt-get install lirc

nice guide tho Smile
luna_s Wrote:you forgot to add remote install too

Code:
sudo apt-get install lirc

nice guide tho Smile

Is lirc required for all remotes or can XBMC handle some remotes "out of the box"?
My IR MCE remote just works straight out of the box.... I thought I'd mentioned that but will add it if I haven't....

I really don't want this to become a 500 page guide covering things that are extensively covered elsewhere, so it will end up having links to other threads.
yeah, especially all things RC fall into the category "customization", makes absolutely no sense to cover this in a quick install guide. integrate a link and just mention that MCE and xbox remote controls work out of the box, requiring an USB IR dongle of course.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Pete_London Wrote:My IR MCE remote just works straight out of the box.... I thought I'd mentioned that but will add it if I haven't....

I really don't want this to become a 500 page guide covering things that are extensively covered elsewhere, so it will end up having links to other threads.

Damn, I got home and hooked in my HFX Vista Remote GP and it doesn't work out of the box. Not a single button works actually, so now I'm trying to figure out what's my first step. Smile
odd i've got a mce remote and it didn't, did after i installed lirc tho Huh
keyboard worked just no remote
probably something i did heh
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes1