• 5(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes
I got it working by going through asound.conf and using the following settings:

Audio Capable Device: hdmi
Passthrough Output Device: plug:default

As others have noted, I don't have sound in the gui, but at least music and videos have sound now.
Renbad Wrote:Re: Usb auto-mounting

I have no idea if this is the best option, but works fine for me. I'm using a tiny package called usbmount.

Code:
sudo apt-get install usbmount

By default it only supports a few format types, so:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf

Inside the conf file change the filesystems line to:
Code:
FILESYSTEMS="ext2 ext3 vfat"

Save and reboot.

This'll now support windows formated usb drives. HOWEVER, there is a warning that removing your usb drives mid data-writing can and will cause data loss. As long as you don't pull it out whilst files are being written it works fine Smile

Hello, hoping someone can point me in the right dorection. I followed this guide and set up my system on a Zotac Ion board. awesome guide! the only issues I am having is with the system seeing the HD's. I installed usbmount and set it up to see my external USB drive (ntfs) and all is well...except when I reboot it no longer sees the drive. I have to unplug the drive and plug it back in....very annoying. Is there a way to make it see the drive upon a reboot? Other issue is that I installed xbmc to a USB stick but I have a internal SATA drive I want to use for storage only...xbmc does not see the sata drive at all. the bios does see it though is there something I need to install? TIA!!!
You'll need to play with fstab to get auto mounts sorted. Head on over to the Ubuntu forums and see what they say....
Pete_London Wrote:You'll need to play with fstab to get auto mounts sorted. Head on over to the Ubuntu forums and see what they say....

Thanks! I will try there.Wink
I finally got HDMI sound to work but I don't understand HOW I got it to work. I tried:

Passthrough Output Device: hdmi

Passthrough Output Device: plug:0,3

Passthrough Output Device: plughw:0,3

and none worked. I then enabled "Downmix Multichannel Audio to Stereo" and then it started working. The Dolby Digital and DTS logo's light up (on my reciever) depending on the source I was watching. So how exactly is "Downmix Multichannel Audio to Stereo" allowing the HDMI sound to pass to my reciever? Also, if this site wasn't available I would still be trying to get HDMI sound to pass to my reciever. So my question is how did someone come up with plughw:0,3 or hdmi or plug:0,3? I looked over the aplay -l results and didn't see any of the above so why does plughw:0,3 work and hdmi not? BTW, below is the results of my aplay -l:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1

I am not one to blindly just go with things and really would like to know why my sound is working now so if something similar happens in the future I know where to turn to.
nugentgl Wrote:I looked over the aplay -l results and didn't see any of the above so why does plughw:0,3 work and hdmi not? BTW, below is the results of my aplay -l:

Because they can mean entirely different things. Post your aplay -L as well (note the uppercase L) and i'll explain to you.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Haggy Wrote:Because they can mean entirely different things. Post your aplay -L as well (note the uppercase L) and i'll explain to you.

Thanks for the help. I am making my way back to LINUX after a 15 year hiatus and have quite a bit of catching up to do as things have changed greatly since the early days of Slackware. Without further adieu, below is the output from aplay -L:

default:CARD=NVidia
HDA NVidia, ALC662 Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC662 Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
HDMI Audio Output
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
So here we go:

nugentgl Wrote:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
HDMI Audio Output

"hdmi" is esentially just an alias or "readable name" for the device/subdevice combination of your hdmi port. aplay -l shows you that it's device 0, subdevice 3 - so that corresponds to hw:0,3. In your case "hdmi" is exactly the same as "hw:0,3", just another word for it (and less prone to fail if given away as a hint in a forum post, that's the reason i don't like it that much).

The "plug"-part is something different: It tell ALSA (the soundsystem) to use software resampling of PCM data before sending it to the output. That way samplerates not natively supported by your Hardware get resampled into something compatible. This is useful for the youtube plugin f.e. Regarding the device it's again the same: "plughw:0,3" is exactly the same as "plug:hdmi".

My suggestion for hdmi/iec958 audio settings in xbmc therefore is
Code:
Default audio device: plug:hdmi (because you may need the resampling backend for some files)
Passthrough device: hdmi (because you want a bitperfect stream if your receiving hdmi device is capable of doing the decoding work)

Hope that clears things up a bit.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Haggy Wrote:So here we go:

"hdmi" is esentially just an alias or "readable name" for the device/subdevice combination of your hdmi port. aplay -l shows you that it's device 0, subdevice 3 - so that corresponds to hw:0,3. In your case "hdmi" is exactly the same as "hw:0,3", just another word for it (and less prone to fail if given away as a hint in a forum post, that's the reason i don't like it that much).

The "plug"-part is something different: It tell ALSA (the soundsystem) to use software resampling of PCM data before sending it to the output. That way samplerates not natively supported by your Hardware get resampled into something compatible. This is useful for the youtube plugin f.e. Regarding the device it's again the same: "plughw:0,3" is exactly the same as "plug:hdmi".

My suggestion for hdmi/iec958 audio settings in xbmc therefore is
Code:
Default audio device: plug:hdmi (because you may need the resampling backend for some files)
Passthrough device: hdmi (because you want a bitperfect stream if your receiving hdmi device is capable of doing the decoding work)

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Perfectly clear, thank you. However, why does enabling "Downmix Multichannel Audio to Stereo" allow the sound to work and vice versa? It seems counter intuitive to me.
What files are you trying to play? Sounds like you try to output non-pcm data - or at least something that cannot be decoded by your receiving hdmi device (AVR/TV)
Haggy Wrote:What files are you trying to play? Sounds like you try to output non-pcm data - or at least something that cannot be decoded by your receiving hdmi device (AVR/TV)

The files are HD MKV files with either DD or DTS encoded sound. When I don't select Downmix, I get no sound to my reciever. When I select Downmix, then the DD and DTS is passed to my reciever. I know it is working when the DD or DTS logo lights up on my reciever. Very odd.
Hmm what are your remaining audio settings in xbmc? Could you provide me with a debug logfile onto pastebin.com? Try to reproduce the error. Take the link in my sig which will show you what steps are necessary if you don't know already. That way we might figure out what's wrong.
Haggy Wrote:Hmm what are your remaining audio settings in xbmc? Could you provide me with a debug logfile onto pastebin.com? Try to reproduce the error. Take the link in my sig which will show you what steps are necessary if you don't know already. That way we might figure out what's wrong.

My settings are:

digital
DD enabled
DTS enabled
plughw:0,3
hdmi
downmix enabled

I will reproduce the issue and post back with the logs.
Haggy - everything is working just fine now. before I did anything at the house, I upgraded alsa to 1.0.20. After that all DTS and DD encoded video play properly and I don't need to have "Downmix" enabled.

However, I have one BR rip with multichannel flac that refuses to play nice. When I start the movie it says, Audio Device Failed to Initialize. It works fine on my Vista HTPC running XBMC so I must be missing something once again.
nugentgl Wrote:Haggy - everything is working just fine now. before I did anything at the house, I upgraded alsa to 1.0.20. After that all DTS and DD encoded video play properly and I don't need to have "Downmix" enabled.

However, I have one BR rip with multichannel flac that refuses to play nice. When I start the movie it says, Audio Device Failed to Initialize. It works fine on my Vista HTPC running XBMC so I must be missing something once again.

Great news. Should have noted before that i'm not on Ubuntu and have a more recent ALSA shipped with my distro (1.0.20 as well). Good to know that this makes such a difference.

As for your second problem: I suppose it gets passed bitperfect through the passthrough device - which does not support the number of channels/samplerate. Could you pastbin a log while playing the file and run "mediainfo" on the file ?

Cheers.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes1