XBMC on a HTPC, how does it work?
I've been using XBMC on Xbox, it is really fun to use but not so many people is using XBMC here in Japan. So please allow me to ask here about XBMC.

XBMC on Xbox is really nice, so fast in booting. I beleive this is the best point when using this kind of player in a living room. But Xbox is not so powerful today, so hard to play H.264 movies or movies have high resolusion. So I'm thinking to switch Xbox to some HTPC.

Thinking about this, my concern is how to use that in a living room. HTPC is a PC, of course, need to be booted or shutdown as a PC. It seems not so fast like Xbox when booting. How do you guys use it? That HTPC running XBMC is suspended when not using? Or booting it each time? Or just always running it without shutdown? Please let me know some case examples.

TIA Smile
Boot it once, then suspend and resume on demand. That's the way i am using it on a HTPC ..
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I have XBMC running in top of Ubuntu and booting takes a little longer but you can configure it to behave exactly like original XBOX, so you can use it same way. Even, you can use original Xbox remote control (some DIY needed).
jim3cantos Wrote:I have XBMC running in top of Ubuntu and booting takes a little longer but you can configure it to behave exactly like original XBOX, so you can use it same way. Even, you can use original Xbox remote control (some DIY needed).

You can also use a MCE receiver in combination with an original xbox remote by modifying IRSSmap.xml in the system folder (requires IR Server Suite).
i thought that xbmc live was the same speed if not faster than the xbox? I have been in debate, linux, windows or live for my HTPC
I went with Windows 7 on mine. I wanted to see how networking with between two Windows 7 machines worked.

Setup was simple, I could have done some registry tweaks and removed some services to make booting quicker but I just put what was needed in the startup folder and a way I went. Booting for me is about 30 seconds.
My htpc is also my home server at the present time, so I leave it on pretty well all the time.
Thank you for the advices. Xbox remote can be used for PC is really attractive! I almost decided to build a HTPC.

Is Atom 330 enough powerful to play 1280x720 H.264 movie? Any suggestion for building a HTPC?

Thanks again!
1. I was going to build but found a cheap yet powerful and slim in size Acer and decided to go that route.

2. If you have a 360 that remote works well, that what I use.
kyouhei Wrote:Is Atom 330 enough powerful to play 1280x720 H.264 movie? Any suggestion for building a HTPC?

Thanks again!

Not exactly what you are asking, but get an Atom 330 with ION chipset and linux xbmc can offload some of the processing for H264 decode onto the GPU and can easily cope with 720p or 1080i.

Probably 1080p as well but i've not tried that myself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on a HTPC, how does it work?0