[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Dynamic Audio Compression (DRC) - why is it Xbox only today?
hard to tell, but i think it did not work. A grep over the trunk seemed to at least parse and honor the item in some sort, but i couldn't tell a difference. The logs also do not talk much about it, aside from being shown in advancedsettings.xml.

So it's still an issue.

best regards
Yeah I have a Bose system that has compression but its just not enough on some films
Has any progress been made on this? (I've searched the forums and not found anything more recent on this topic than this.)

I would hate to have to buy a receiver just to have this feature. Will it ever make it into these OS-specific builds?

Thanks in advance for any new information!
Any update on this? Thanks!
Hello all. I've been following this and other threads in regards to DRC for XBMC, and thought I'd talk about SOME progress I've made on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx).

Please note that this method is temporary and settings will be lost after restarting PulseAudio (i.e. rebooting computer). If somebody knows a better way to do this, feel free to share.

Before you proceed, have a look here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1470407

Follow the above link as a guide, and then install the following additional packages from a terminal (this SHOULD be all you need after following the above link:

apt-get install jack qjackctl jack-rack

After installing the packages above, you will need to startup JACK (qjackctl recommended) and JACK-Rack, then create the PulseAudio to JACK clients from a terminal (NOTE that JACK MUST be running BEFORE you create them):

qjackctl
jack-rack
pactl load-module module-jack-sink
pactl load-module module-jack-source

If the above commands work, you should see the PulseAudio in/out clients connected to the JACK system clients.

Now DISCONNECT ALL inputs and outputs, and start routing the PulseAudio outputs that you want to use, to the JACK-Rack inputs. Finally, connect the JACK-Rack outputs to the system.

That's it! Everything is connected properly to use LADSPA effects. Just fire up XBMC and make sure it's using PulseAudio.

TIP: a combination of Compressor, Noise Gate, and Low-cut (high-pass) filter should handle MOST situations if you want to watch a variety of stuff late at night.

I will post a follow-up when/if I find a more streamlined approach with a script.

Good Luck!

P.S. I would strongly encourage XBMC linux devs to include NATIVE JACK support to avoid this chaotic spaghetti mess with PulseAudio, but for now it's SOMETHING.
It's crazy that with was a feature I always used to use in XBMP and it has never been implemented in XBMC after all these years.

I have an HTPC motherboard, ms-7411, that has a 5.1 preamp sound card built on. My speakers wire strait into the HTPC so any audio normalization needs to be built into XMBC for me. I have to change the volume level constantly, like 30 times a movie. I live in an apartment and can't blast movies all the time. Windows 7 has a loudness equalization that I used to use, but it really sucks.

8 years ago it was an always used, and knowingly valuable, feature in XBMP. Please implement this. That was actually the main reason I just installed the Dharma beta; I was hoping to find some sort of audio normalization. Obviously I love XBMC and have been using it since the fist XBMP builds. I just miss, and really need some audio normalization.
Yeah, I just watched Alien for the first time today... if you had the sound turned up loud enough to barely pick out what the actors were saying, the sound effects were deafeningly loud.

I ended up just turning the volume down, and relying on subtitles to catch the dialog...
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
8 years ago XBMC didn't exist. Exaggeration FTW!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Up the gain to your center channel if you have low dialog. There are some nice test audio samples around that will let you calibrate your audio system.
Speaking as a Deaf Bastard [tm] drc is close to my heart. Multiply the issues that other people have mentioned by about ten. And I wish I had an audio system with a centre channel that I could push all of the way up.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying the subtitle addon. So what jmarshall giveth davilla taketh away, or vice versa, <- or insert your favourite developers here...
jmarshall Wrote:8 years ago XBMC didn't exist. Exaggeration FTW!

Wow, it was just a guess and guess what, I was right. 2002 for XBMP. Read my post again and you will see XBMP mentioned. Stands for XBOX Media Player, not XBOX Media Center. XBMP was the beginning of XBMC.

ps...I had to look up what ftw stood for and can now say, facts FTW!
davilla Wrote:Up the gain to your center channel if you have low dialog. There are some nice test audio samples around that will let you calibrate your audio system.

Thanks for that tip. I think that will probably help a lot. Just in case people don't know where to find the individual speaker levels in Windows 7 here you go:

Rt-click the System Tray speaker icon and choose 'Playback devices'.

Highlight your speakers and click the Properties button.

On the next dialog box, choose the Levels page.

On there, click the Balance button.
Is there anything I can buy to make all my audio at the same sound?
Hound Wrote:Is there anything I can buy to make all my audio at the same sound?

A decent Receiver Smile
natethomas Wrote:It's useful for all the folk running XBMC with sound coming out of a TV or simple pair of stereo speakers. Work in this area has been commenced, but has been set aside as of late for other more pressing matters. One assumes work will eventually continue, but I have no idea when. So an ETA can't really be given.

Is this the feature that's currently been worked on?

It would be great if it could be implemented into XBMC sometime, but for now I guess I'll just have to use the centre channel trick as I have a cheap receiver and it doesn't have a "night mode".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Dynamic Audio Compression (DRC) - why is it Xbox only today?0