[ATV] how to join multicast (IGMP) group?
I have IPTV multicast streaming from my provider which works fine with provided set-tpo box. I can successfully watch UDP multicast streams from XBMC on Apple TV by using corresponding strm files (like udp://@10.10.10.123:1234).

The question is how can I join required multicast group before opening the related UDP stream? Is there any way to do this from XBMC? Or should I do this somehow by means of MacOS and probably write some Python script for XBMC? There is such a way under linux using the ip command, though have no idea how can I do this on MacOS.

If this can be done then AppleTV could be used as the IPTV set-top box (at least for SD content).

Another great thing would be SAP announcement decoding from IPTV provider with automagic generation of corresponding TV channel streams.
we (ffmpeg) does call the network stack's functions to join the multicast stream when it starts such a stream..

And regarding SAP announcements.. have you tried adding a source sap:// Smile. I think that is available in the mac version aswell. I added that a while back, not much tested thou.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:we (ffmpeg) does call the network stack's functions to join the multicast stream when it starts such a stream..

And regarding SAP announcements.. have you tried adding a source sap:// Smile. I think that is available in the mac version aswell. I added that a while back, not much tested thou.

Wow! Would you be more specific please? I was unable to find any info about what is meant by SAP within XBMC, as in the manual it is listed under Audio protocols. Someone on the forum also transcribed this as "streamed audio programming" or something like this.

Either way when I try to add "SAP Session" source it finds nothing. If I leave only empty SAP:// URL within the path it later says that it can't browse the source.

Also I'm a bit frustrated of the "SAP Sessions" term as if we talk about SAP related to IPTV it is read as Service Announcement Protocol.
Not sure why it says SAP Sessions... But it is the Service Announcement Protocol. Could you post a debug log when you try to browse the sap:// source?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Ouch.. nevermind. It would seem that the sap code has not been ported to linux or osx. Will put it on my todo list. (no guarantees on when it's done)

now it's on linux and osx. let me know if it works

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV] how to join multicast (IGMP) group?0