Alternative to video_ts.ifo?
Hello All,

I recently ripped our 'kid's movie' collection to my network server. Eventually I will transcode these to something smaller - but right now I am using them as DVD rips.

On both my XBOX and HTPC machine, the time to start playing a VIDEO_TS.ifo file is quite long(more so on the XBOX, which is what my son uses). This is with hard-wired connections. HOWEVER if I select the VOB it starts very quickly.

I did a search, and it sounds like this is to do with the .ifo file reading in all the vobs in parallel.

Since all these movies are ripped as 'main movie only' there is unlikely to be any branching within the DVD structure.

Is there another 'playlist' format that I can replace the video_ts.ifo files with, that will just instruct XBMC to play the vobs sequentially? I would want this playlist to be stored with the movies, not local to the xbmc install. And if I can use a playlist how do I get the library mode to play the playlist instead of the video_ts.ifo file?

Thanks,
xnappo
Download DVD Shrink and rip those video folders as iso images and they will load much faster. You can also compress them with DVD Shrink but I wouldn't go below 80% if you still want an acceptable picture quality.
Just delete (move away would probably be a safer option) the .ifo and press play on the containing directory. It should play the contents in order.
althekiller Wrote:Just delete (move away would probably be a safer option) the .ifo and press play on the containing directory. It should play the contents in order.

Thanks Al - that gets me close. Works great in file mode, but in library mode it doesn't stack them and ends up with entries equal to the number of VOBs in the folder...

xnappo

P.S. Sorry - this should have gone in help and support Sad

[EDIT] Got the stacking working by making the movie stacking more aggressive - but then I get 'too many failed consecutive items' when I stack them. Sigh, maybe I will just brute force it and write a script to concatenate them all into big mpg files.

[EDIT]
15:03:28 M: 11689984 ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [stack://smb://MERCURY/E/Video/Trevor Movies/RESCUERS/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB , smb://MERCURY/E/Video/Trevor Movies/RESCUERS/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_2.VOB , smb://MERCURY/E/Video/Trevor Movies/RESCUERS/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_3.VOB , smb://MERCURY/E/Video/Trevor Movies/RESCUERS/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_4.VOB]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alternative to video_ts.ifo?0