Zotac ION HDMI digital sound problems
Hey Guys,

I wanted to start a new tread in the HTPC hardware forum but its read only and I don't think this is a XBMC problem.

I have my Zotac ION connected directly to my Sony Bravia KDL40Z4100 TV with HDMI. From my TV I connected the optical out to my Denon receiver. My Denon is older and does not have HDMI inputs. When I play any music or any video that is stereo I have no problems with sound on my TV or the Denon. When I play DD or DTS my TV sound is all white noise, but my Denon plays the audio fine. In the past when I used my desktop machine with a Asus EN9500GT with HDMI my TV would play the stereo and DD stuff and there would be no sound on the TV for DTS, my sony downmixes the DD to stereo. Now my TV sound for surround stuff regardless of DD or DTS is white noise but my Denon plays everything great, but the sound goes thru the TV.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I tried the Zotac on 2 different sony TVs KDL40Z4100 and KDL40W3000 with the same problem. I install Windows XP and setup passthru with MPC and AC3filter and it works just like my desktop machine did with XBMC.

This wouldn't be a problem but my wife watches alot of downloaded TV shows that have DD and does not care to listen thru the Denon.

Thanks in advance!
Moved as requested
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
did you get anywhere with this..
i have same whitenoise problem with passthrough HDMI mode only..

i got this far.. but can't figure out the rest..

this link here states that it is an iecset issue... not sure who is setting it if it is XBMC or ALSA..

iecset is supposed to show audio = 0 (non-audio) for DTS/AC3 pass through streams overHDMI

for some reason when i play a movie in XBMC that should be passing through i end up with iecset audio = 1..

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut
Before PLayback
Code:
iecset
Mode: consumer
[b]Data: non-audio[/b]
Rate: 48000 Hz
Copyright: permitted
Emphasis: none
Category: PCM coder
Original: original
Clock: 1000 ppm

During a DTS movie playback in XBMC that should be passing through

Code:
iecset
Mode: consumer
Data: audio
Rate: 48000 Hz
Copyright: permitted
Emphasis: none
Category: PCM coder
Original: original
Clock: 1000 ppm

The only time i can get audio over HDMI is if the stream is down-mixed to stereo and essentially sends 2channel PCM over HDMI..

help please?
I never solved the problem, but I do know when I play a DD/DTS to get rid of the white noise I have to go to the command line and issue a "iecset -n 1 audio off" then everything works. But then if a played something in stereo I had to issue a "iecset -n 1 audio on" to get it back for stereo sound to work. For some reason XBMC only changed the iecset bits for the first sound card which is the spdif on my Zotac ION A series board. The -n 1 parameter changes it for the HDMI. If I disabled the spdif in the bios then the HDMI became the first sound card and it worked better but not perfect. I don't have that Sony anymore and my new one does not pass DTS thru the TV so I only use spdif to my amp. I'm guessing that my old Sony TV was more picky on the right bits being set while my denon does not care.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ION HDMI digital sound problems0