[XBOX] Programming for XBMC?
Lately I've been really wanting to code something for xbmc on the xbox but finding it difficult to pick up as I don't really know where to start.Huh What are the essentials for getting into coding and making something worth while.

I would like if at all possible to do optimizations or create a VMM system like some of the emulators have so that XBMC on xbox would be less inclined to suffer from out of memory problems that we all get using the newer skins.
Probably start by stating your current skill set.
exactly WHAT do you think a vmm would help with?
I done a bit of programming in these areas in college COBOL, C, C++, Java, Visual Basic, XML. But only skimmed these areas and I know the basics about them only. If I had to say what was my strongest then I'd have to say Java. Basically I need a good starting point or direction with how I could get stuck in to coding something useful for xbmc.

I still use and love the xbox and Ive asked myself whats wrong with XBMC for xbox at the moment. The main thing I believe is wrong is that its very hard to use with newer skins that use fanart and newer features. So with what I know and seen already with other programs for example FBAXXX, MameOX and CPS3 emulators which still load the games even when out of memory, I thought maybe if the same could be used for XBMC. If XBMC could use virtual memory when running low on system memory I think this could solve the crashing when using xbmc.
they dump unused parts of the game images to disc. once they need to use those parts of the game image, it is loaded into ram. that is a completely different scenario from the skins.

in the skins you need to access many large textures at the same time. you need them in memory at the same time or you can't render them. if you have to go to disc to fetch textures many times a frame you'll end up with ~ 1 fps. vmm cannot solve this.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=21837

Rolleyes
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] Programming for XBMC?0