[MAC] AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) instead of SMB for network shares in XBMC for Mac?
Lightbulb 
I have a ReadyNAS NV+ for my movie collection. This box supports AFP with Bonjour (mDNS) etc. Is there a way for me to add sources over AFP instead of SMB? Ive heard that AFP is faster compared to SMB in a all Mac environment.
Can I add an afp share as a media source just like you would an smb share?
eg. afp://server/share/path
No, XBMC's vfs does not support afp natively. I'm not a mac user but isn't it possible to mount the afp share at another location and then just navigate to that using xbmc?

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?s...0201020569

so do that and add /Volumes/idisk as a share in XBMC.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Topfs2 Wrote:... but isn't it possible to mount the afp share at another location and then just navigate to that using xbmc?

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?s...0201020569

so do that and add /Volumes/idisk as a share in XBMC.

Yepp that works, thats how I do it.
It'd certainly be a very nice feature for us to add, especially given the work mdd is doing on xbmc's ability to browse via bonjour.

The trouble was, last time I checked, there wasn't a (non-FUSE) AFP library available (like libsmb is for SMB shares) so that obviously quickly stiffled my interest.
motd2k Wrote:It'd certainly be a very nice feature for us to add, especially given the work mdd is doing on xbmc's ability to browse via bonjour.

The trouble was, last time I checked, there wasn't a (non-FUSE) AFP library available (like libsmb is for SMB shares) so that obviously quickly stiffled my interest.

FUSE is easy to install and pretty transparent. You could simply require it for AFP support.

However the one thing I like about SMB is that it doesn't have to mount the volumes in the file system to work. I would think if you used AFP each volume would need to be mounted. Potential corruption, or so it seems to me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) instead of SMB for network shares in XBMC for Mac?0