[LIVE] Unable to boot
Hi guys, hopefully someone can help me.

When i attempt to boot xbmc live (9.04.1) it starts loading from CD and then says "stage 2". Then i'm presented with a grub prompt where it says press tab for options.
I did that and one of the options was 'boot'. So i tried that, which resulted in an Error 8 kernel must be loaded error (or something like that).

The strange thing is, that the CD works on my laptop. Not on 2 of my desktops (both geforce 8200).
The only thing i can think of is the fact i was using an external usb drive on the desktops. Is that a no-go?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers.
ok, i've tried converting the iso to use on a usb stick. I've tried with the usb stick active and not active.
Everytime i try to boot that i simply get:
"Boot error".

Anyone got any idea how i can get xbmc to boot?
anyone? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?

Do i have to wait til the next release?
I assume that you tested the USB stick on your 2 laptops first?
I can't get the usb stick to work on anything. I followed the instructions in the sticky to the letter.

The CD works in the laptop, but not on my desktops with external USB.

Thanks for the reply.
Ok, then I recommend you to test booting the standard Ubuntu desktop 9.04 CD to make sure that this is not a BIOS support problem. If that works you at least know that the pipes are clean.

(Booting from USB can be abit tricky.)
You mean standard standar ubuntu, or the one with xbmc?

I've previously installed ubuntu 9.04, XP, Vista and Win7 on the machine using the external CD drive.
I really wanted to try the live CD as i'm intrigued by it being based on ubuntu mobile and wanted to see what the boot performance was like.
Plus, i've previously had issues (being a windows guy) getting video playback to work in linux. Was hoping that the latest Live CD would give me a glimpse into whether the VDPAU stuff would work on my system, as my CPU isn't fast enough to decode some HD stuff with the inbuilt XBMC codecs.

Plus, i don't want to bust up my currently working system (the other half would kill me, seeing how long it took to get working Rolleyes)

Anyway, you reckon it could be a problem with my USB stick? I've only got 1, but i also tried with a usb hard drive and that just produced a blank screen Sad

Cheers.
If the standard ubuntu CD booted then that part should be fine. I guess there could be some hardware in the computer that the liveCD cannot handle.. I really dont know.

USB..I dont know, I havent tested that guide. I have only created USB boot with the usb-creator in Ubuntu.
ok, cheers.

Well if i find the answer then i'll post it back here.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Unable to boot0