[AppleTv] Holy Crap I figured it out!!!
Ok cut me some slack, but Im sorta excited. I have been fighting with my setup for MONTHS trying to figure out why my video playback is juddery during motion. I went through periods thinking it was just my perception. Ive read every thread I could find everywhere regardless of platform. For my setup, its fixed. I mean its perfect. Flawless.

Are you ready for this? It was settings on my TV.

I have a 52" Sony Bravia XBR. I have never touched a setting on my TV. Factory defaults. I was poking around in the settings today hoping to find a refresh rate or something. It doesnt have one. But I found some other settings that I started playing with:

Motion Enhancer and CineMotion.

Motion Enhancer was set to "Standard". I set it to high and went back to XBMC. It was worse.

CineMotion was set to "Auto 1". I set it to Auto 2. Unbelievable it sucked _even more_.

I became disgusted. I actually spoke out loud. I spent 4 grand on my AV setup and it looks like this?!

I went back into settings and turned both to off. I went back to XBMC and it was frickin' pristine. Perfect. I mean with... out.... flaw....

Im not saying it will help any of you, But I would try it or something similar on your tv if you find yourself in a similar situation as me.

Seriously. If was only halfway between what it was and how it is now, I would have been happy.

XBMC is _AMAZING_!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Platform - AppleTV
AppleTV Version - 3.0.1
Launcher version - 3.2.4
Install Method - Patchstick
SVN Revision - 9.11 R28256
(2)Seritek 5PM Chassis' :: 12TB
good for you. i see that all the time at best buy on the demo tv's, not everyone can see it or perceive it, but it is on a lot of blu ray players too. 120hz, cinemotion, whatever they call it different by brand, it all looks unnatural.

hope u get the most out of ur setup!
Yes, I have an XBR4 with the same problem. If I just turn the Motion Enhancer (120Hz) off (for it to display 60Hz) it still looks juddery. I keep Motion Enhancer on Standard and Cinemotion to Auto2 - this was a problem with the TV I have and AVS forums said if you use those settings it displays 60Hz correctly, which it does.

Not sure if this would help you, but this was the case with the 1st Gen Sony 120Hz displays. Won't buy Sony TV again, but I hate glossy Samsungs because the orientation the TV faces.
you'll find that if you get your tv professionally calibrated most of all that fancy stuff tvs advertise nowadays gets disabled. yeah there are times they help, but from my experience all that extra fluff like motion enhancement edge enhancement, dynamic contrast, creates a very inconsistent viewing experience. If you are serious about picture quality, I'd highly recommend getting your tv professionally calibrated. And if you dont.... go turn all that extra crap off.
My mate a couple of years ago got a 100hz tv and when he switched that feature on stuff got truely odd.

OK I know Star Trek Next Gen was recorded in a studio, but with the 100hz on, you could SEE it was in a studio, it was just really weird in the way it stripped any sense of scale out of the picture and rendered it totally 'honest' and to be frank honest is not what you want when watching TV.

Suffice to say he turned the feature off.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTv] Holy Crap I figured it out!!!0