Copy to USB mounts
I tried to use the filemanager today to copy some media from my HDD to a USB flash card. (daugter wanted AQUA on her USB mp3 player)

I received and error that some files were not copied.
NO FILES were copied.

I ended up over at the good IRC #ubuntu to ask for help on MOUNT.

Checking the USB for rw with MOUNT showed me that the USB's I insert into XBMCLive makes them read only. This not good if you wish to transfer your files around from device to device.

I used this command from terminal

mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/sdb1 /mnt/tmp/
cp /file/loaction/*.* /mnt/tmp/

worked like a charm.

After I made the USB a /mnt/tmp/ I was able to copy and remove files from the USB.

I tried to copy files from the filemanager in XBMC and I still got the same some files could not be copied error.

My question is.

Will XBMC support file managment in the future?
Has any one come up with a work around ?
HTPC SPECS:Samsung Series 850 58" PDP
[email protected] (full Screen)
XBMCLive : 10.00
HDD: 500GB WD Blue MOBO:P5n7a-VM
GPU: Geforce 9300/nforce 730i/PCI/SSE2
MEMORY: 2 GIG 1066MHZ DDR3 (single)
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
newb2linux Wrote:I tried to use the filemanager today to copy some media from my HDD to a USB flash card. (daugter wanted AQUA on her USB mp3 player)

I received and error that some files were not copied.
NO FILES were copied.

I ended up over at the good IRC #ubuntu to ask for help on MOUNT.

Checking the USB for rw with MOUNT showed me that the USB's I insert into XBMCLive makes them read only. This not good if you wish to transfer your files around from device to device.

I used this command from terminal

mount -t vfat -o rw /dev/sdb1 /mnt/tmp/
cp /file/loaction/*.* /mnt/tmp/

worked like a charm.

After I made the USB a /mnt/tmp/ I was able to copy and remove files from the USB.

I tried to copy files from the filemanager in XBMC and I still got the same some files could not be copied error.

My question is.

Will XBMC support file managment in the future?
Has any one come up with a work around ?

Yes, the plan is that it should be supported but we didn't have safe removal before so we chooses to only allow read access as a security meassure
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Good to know.. Thanks for the explaination ")
HTPC SPECS:Samsung Series 850 58" PDP
[email protected] (full Screen)
XBMCLive : 10.00
HDD: 500GB WD Blue MOBO:P5n7a-VM
GPU: Geforce 9300/nforce 730i/PCI/SSE2
MEMORY: 2 GIG 1066MHZ DDR3 (single)
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz
Read / write mounting is supported in r21650
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Will the latest XBMC Live 9.04 support this?

I am trying to access my USB hard drive which is plugged into my ASROCK via the network.

This will save me having to unplug the USB hard drive and plugging it into my other computer whenever I want to transfer files to it.

Thanks
bump.

using LIVE camelot 9.11, what is the best way to transfer files?

for example: i have all my media on an external 1TB NTFS-formatted drive, which is plugged into my HTPC, mounted at /media/sdb1. it is shared on my windows network, too. what would i do if i wanted to transfer a 4GB movie from this drive to a USB flash drive?

should i put the USB flash drive into the HTPC itself and use the XBMC file manager? will i encounter problems with permissions/async (slow file transfers)?

should i use winscp or something like that to issue the transfer command (i don't know anything about linux command lines)?

or should i use standard SMB copy-and-paste? although this has never worked reliably for me in the past, wired or wireless, especially for big files.
As far as I know there is no permission problems and you can copy anyway you want.
The best way is of course to plug the usb in the htpc and copy it over. You shouldnt have any any problems copying large files over the network if it is wired though. Just remember that the usb flash probably only hanlde 4G files out of the box.

You should probably have started a new thread instead of bringing up this old one. Since they are discussing an old version it becomes more clear with a new thread. Just my opinion.
i figured it wasn't a big enough issue to start a new thread, but thanks for your hints anyway.

incidentally my HTPC isn't automounting my flash drive, will have to do some more forum digging.
Quote:incidentally my HTPC isn't automounting my flash drive
If you are not running a clean Live installation it is probably because you have installed something that broke it by misstake. (gnome-policykit?). there is a number of threads on this. No solution, expect not to install stuff that breaks it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copy to USB mounts0