[LINUX] Crash to desktop when Play button pressed on MCE remote
Hi I hope someone can help. I am a new/potential XBMC user.

I am running ubuntu Jaunty and XBMC r20654 from http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/jaunty-ppa/ubuntu. Everything is working well, with the exception of a crash whenever I press the play button on my MCE remote (which XBMC admirably picked up fine otherwise). This will pretty much push the WAF negative as I'm sure you can imagine.

I have looked around and googled but I haven't found anyone else having this problem. The problem is always reproducible and applied in the normal video operation and while watching mythtv recordings over the mythbox plugin.

It's good to see XBMC still alive, I haven't used it since it was still XBMP...

Other Useful information:

xbmc.log
backtrace (I think never generated one before)

paul@prune:~$ uname -a
Linux prune 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 22:12:12 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I'll be damned, that must be the best first post/bug report I've ever seen. Unfortunately you've been bit by short sightedness in SDL's threading implementation under 64bit. If you can afford to switch to a 32bit OS, you'd be much happier until we get a chance to rip out the SDL stuff.
paulyche Wrote:Hi I hope someone can help. I am a new/potential XBMC user.

I am running ubuntu Jaunty and XBMC r20654 from http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/jaunty-ppa/ubuntu. Everything is working well, with the exception of a crash whenever I press the play button on my MCE remote (which XBMC admirably picked up fine otherwise). This will pretty much push the WAF negative as I'm sure you can imagine.

I have looked around and googled but I haven't found anyone else having this problem. The problem is always reproducible and applied in the normal video operation and while watching mythtv recordings over the mythbox plugin.

It's good to see XBMC still alive, I haven't used it since it was still XBMP...

Other Useful information:

xbmc.log
backtrace (I think never generated one before)

paul@prune:~$ uname -a
Linux prune 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 22:12:12 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I glanced over your log file and I want to say I had this same problem a while ago. I was playing around with the video settings and when I enabled "Sync Video with Screen" ( I think that was the option ) every video would crash. I turned that off and everything worked fine. I hope this helps!
althekiller Wrote:I'll be damned, that must be the best first post/bug report I've ever seen. Unfortunately you've been bit by short sightedness in SDL's threading implementation under 64bit. If you can afford to switch to a 32bit OS, you'd be much happier until we get a chance to rip out the SDL stuff.

Thanks for the help, although I didn't think my post had actually been submitted. So it's only by chance that I've just found this response.

I did manage to solve my problem when I upgraded to a nightly SVN version of XBMC. Pressing Play now displays a plethora of video information, but I can probably change it so that play does the same as pause and then I'll be fine.

I'm a bit torn at the moment between using XBMC with it's current (and a bit weak) MythTV functions or sticking with MythTV frontend for the time being despite it's not-quite-so-nice-as-xbmc MythVideo plugin and abomindable MythMusic plugin...

Maybe I should give XBMC a whole-hearted go and start submitting bug reports.

Anyway thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Crash to desktop when Play button pressed on MCE remote0