XBMC Live - Access to underlying OS? Which version is right for me
Hi, I'm in the process of buying a Atom/Ion HTPC and am planning on putting on XBMC but I've not used it since my old Xbox V1 days and things have certainly moved on since those days.

My basic requirements are:

Media browsing and playing of HD 1080 files
Access to BBC iPlayer
Access to my home networks NAS and Mac for transfering files
Torrent program

I'm fairly used to Windows and OSX but fairly new to Ubuntu so was looking at XMBC Live - however my main question is do I have access to the underlying OS or is it all hidden and only the media player available? Do I have access to install and run other programs such as web browser/torrent programs?

Thanks
Your best bet will be installing ubuntu and then installing xbmc from one of the repositories. The live version is not meant to be used as a base for a xbmc installation with more apps that you can switch to. It is doable, but since you stated you have limited linux knowledge: don't do it Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Ok great thanks - what version of Ubuntu do people recommend? Simply the latest one?

Is it just a standard version of Ubuntu that most people run or any of the specific installs?
meduk1 Wrote:Ok great thanks - what version of Ubuntu do people recommend? Simply the latest one?

Is it just a standard version of Ubuntu that most people run or any of the specific installs?

The latest stable version, don't go installing the alphas and RC and such.

Jaunty is a very good base to install on. http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

And don't choose x64, xbmc doesn't do extremely well there.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live - Access to underlying OS? Which version is right for me0