unable to select essid in network setup.
hi, for some reason the option to type in the essid is greyed out so in order to get internet access i have to hit ctrl-alt-f2, log in as root and type in iwconfig wlan0 essid my-network && dhclient.

how do i get it to allow me to select my wireless nework from within the xbmc -> setup -> network menu ?

thanks,

fyi: i already added this to my /etc/network/interfaces:
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
I don't know if this helps any, but I have had similar issues recently after receiving my Zotac ionitx N330. Loaded Ubuntu 8.04 on it first and had the very same issue when I launched XBMC. I found others in the forums who had discussed something like this and the developers of XBMC have noted that you should not have to pick the wireless network inside the settings of XBMC. It should pick it up from the OS.

So, guess what...I installed Jaunty, applied all the updates, installed the latest release of XBMC for Ubuntu just last week and the wireless worked "right of the box" as they say.
schneidz Wrote:hi, for some reason the option to type in the essid is greyed out so in order to get internet access i have to hit ctrl-alt-f2, log in as root and type in iwconfig wlan0 essid my-network && dhclient.

how do i get it to allow me to select my wireless nework from within the xbmc -> setup -> network menu ?

thanks,

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

The wireless config in XBMC today is root only, which isn't really a sane way of running XBMC. so it's greyed out until you are root.

However I am working on a non-root configuration but it's a slow process due to me both not using wlan and my wlan pci card resulting in kernel lockups every now and then, so I don't want to have it in all the time
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I have made it work in the XBMC session.
(see here)

Quote:Wifi WPA2 in XBMC session
-------------------
1) Left click on network icon and select network & Connect
2) Right click on network icon , edit connecttions, wireless, select network, Edit - Click Always allow - Check Available to all users
- check remember autorization & enter password
3) Reboot and make sure that no dialog is necessary to connect wifi => Should work fine in the XBMC session.

Wouldn't a (dirty?) fix be to add a sudo in the script and add access to this function in the policykit?
^ i wonder what the command line way of doing this is ?
If youre gonna use xbmc for HD content video wireless
is prolly a little to weak when it comes to speed. You chould consider
a cable instead in the long run.
(i have tested with wireless on my setup and since i allready have alotta trafic in my wireless net, pushing HD video on top of that wasnt really
any good idea.)
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
^ yeah i'm just getting ready for when wireless-n takes over.
schneidz Wrote:^ i wonder what the command line way of doing this is ?

After a bit of fiddling got my Netgear WG111V3 usb dongle up and running with WPA2 on XBMC live installed to harddrive..

As the live installer doesn't include wireless-tools or wpasupplicant you'll need to install both of these if your using live.

otherwise I just manually edited /etc/network/interfaces for my USB wifi..

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa.conf
post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

and /etc/wpa.conf is

network={
ssid="myessid"
#psk="mypsk"
psk=XXYYZZAABBCCDDEEFF
}

I can't remember exactly how you do it but there is a command in wireless-tools that will generate the XXYYAABBCCDDEEFF from your PSK

Works a treat for me
There is a program called cnetworkmanager awell which is the one I'm basing the new interface in XBMC on, which is commandline only it should hopefully be abit easier than configuring via configfiles.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
^ thanks for the ideas... i would prefer it that i can toggle something on the command line so that the xbmc user can input the ssid using the remote control.
wicd could be an interesting alternative in this case, don't you think?
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
Question 
schneidz Wrote:hi, for some reason the option to type in the essid is greyed out so in order to get internet access i have to hit ctrl-alt-f2, log in as root and type in iwconfig wlan0 essid my-network && dhclient.

thanks,

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

when i wrote: iwconfig, it says command not found. How can i install it? I'm using XBMC live.
Code:
sudo apt-get install wireless-tools
obviousely you'll need an internet connection to download/ install
The-Boxhead Wrote:If youre gonna use xbmc for HD content video wireless
is prolly a little to weak when it comes to speed. You chould consider
a cable instead in the long run.
(i have tested with wireless on my setup and since i allready have alotta trafic in my wireless net, pushing HD video on top of that wasnt really
any good idea.)

that is a valid concern, but an 8 gb standard def dvd iso streamed very well to my tv using wireless-g. i wouldnt expect a 40 gb bd iso to cripple my network; it would only require 5 times the bandwidth.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unable to select essid in network setup.0