Aeon version / MODS
Hi!

So every now and then I come to this forum and see a lot of MODS. I am wondering, is the EAON version of djh still in development (is somebody adding functionality / fixing bugs in this version) or are the MODS more up to date than the initial version djh created?

What version should I use? Ofcourse, I see differences in the different MODS, but that's mainly layout changes... Is somebody still changing the original version of djh or is this version behing compared to the MODS?

Wouldn't it be wise to create a sticky with a list of available MODS and where possible merge the MODS fixes / added functionality to the base version of djh? Or... Am I missing something here? This way there will always be a base version someone (newbies like me) could use and they would always have the latest version...
Hitchers mod is made up of most of the best ones.
Andy's ShowMix is the mod for me Smile - the best of multiplex and showcase together
Use Black's mod it's the best mod to date also it's the full skin but without the fonts
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
wilco78 Wrote:What version should I use? Ofcourse, I see differences in the different MODS, but that's mainly layout changes... Is somebody still changing the original version of djh or is this version behing compared to the MODS?

Djh posted a note in the forums earlier this week that he's looking for someone else to take over the design work to finish the skin, although he would still do the coding. At this point, I think most people are using a mod version, either Hitcher's or 'Black's probably being the two most popular, although there are no shortage of others.

wilco78 Wrote:Wouldn't it be wise to create a sticky with a list of available MODS and where possible merge the MODS fixes / added functionality to the base version of djh? Or... Am I missing something here? This way there will always be a base version someone (newbies like me) could use and they would always have the latest version...

You're right that would be a great help, especially for newbies. The problem is that mods are posted/changed on such a frequent basis that I think it would be almost a full-time job just to keep an up-to-date index of what is available. Also, merging MODS together is not as easy yet as it needs to be (and the frequency of updates from modders compounds the problem), although finding an elegant solution has proven tough so far.

I'd say you're best bet is just to start with either the default version of the skin from djh or a mod like Hitcher's or 'Black's that is an "all-in-one" type of mod. That will give you the vast majority of current features/improvements that people are using. For other mods that are more "single-feature" type mods, I think it really isn't feasible to develop a guide as things change too quickly. My advice would be to experiment and read through the forums -- I know, not what anybody wants to hear, but on the other hand I don't think there are any "essential" features you would be missing even with just the base version of the skin. To a large extent, it is a matter of taste really.

Sorry for rambling a bit - hope that helps!
Well said leeuw. and i thought Phyek had teamed up with djh, or have they had a falling out allready?
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
As stated above, Hitcher's and AndyBlac's MODs are pretty comprehensive. They seem to get with other coders on here who have made MODs and incorporate them into a big MOD that flows very nicely. I use both of them on different machines in my house. They also are actively adding more content and fixing bugs very quickly. Of course you will be updating the skin often as both seem to constantly tweak their MODs. I think AndyBlac say's he's getting closer to having his music section completed the way he wants, but there always seems to be tweaks. Another thing with these two is that they listen to alot of suggestions as to what should be in the skin. Thats sorta nice if someone has come up with a good idea, like Anoobies trailers. His work alone added a whole new aspect to using XBMC.
Of course, I know very little about how the inner workings of the program go. I am a complete noob and if it weren't for someone adding these in and debugging how they all worked together, I would still be using the skin that came with XBMC and missing out on some of the coolest ideas.
Anyway, try those two and see how they work for you. djh is doing great work with the Aeon skin and Hitcher, AndyBlac and the other modders are truly making this an awesome media center. I am a total addict to this and love showing it off to people who come over. Especially now that I can run it all with my iPhone. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon version / MODS0