[XBOX] chip to soft mod
I have an old 1.0 xbox w/ a pogo style mod chip installed. over time the xbox increasingly errors (50/50 chance or more) on boot flashing red on the front panel with the multi-language service message displayed on the screen. This can usually be fixed by turning the xbox off and giving it a little shake, but sometimes required the xbox to be opened and the chip be reseated. A slight pain in the butt to say the least.

I was wondering if I can just soft mod the box and take the chip out (or leave it in, does it matter)?

Do I need to do anything special for a soft mod and do I need anything if I have a and can boot into the XBMC Installer Disc? Is it as simple as choosing the softmod option in the menu and letting it rip?

The xbox is version 1.0 purchased on release day. There is a pogo mod chip installed with X2 4xxx firmware and a 120 gig harddrive.

The point is to have a more reliable boot into XBMC without spending any money to streaming videos from files on a remote PC but I would still like the option to run emulators and games from the hdd as well as all other functions. Is there any difference in performance and operation between a chip mod and a soft mod?

Thanks.
No, softmod should work great.

Just copy the softmod over, then remove the modchip, and you should be good to go.

-Wes
A CASH 1.1 or Auto Installer Deluxe disc can be used to install a softmod for your system. Note that you'll need to make sure the HDD is locked before pulling the chip for good. This can be done via ConfigMagic.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
I've never done a softmod before. Every thing I've read on it starts with a game save exploit and action replay. I'm assuming because the xbox has a mod chip in it and can boot (some of the time) those things are not needed. I just need to boot with the XBMCID disc (or other discs suggested), select the soft mod option. Lock the HDD before I power down and I'll be able to remove the temperamental chip. Also I'm assuming that if I have a problem with the softmod, reinstalling the chip will let me boot back in to fix it.

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] chip to soft mod0