• 5(current)
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder Mini-PCIe Card support for Apple TV?
DaveGee Wrote:Utilizing this card while a GODSEND for AppleTV or other low powered devices... could this also be put to use in a desktop with an adapter that would allow you to install mini-pci cards? I'm fairly certain the answer would be yes... now if so could the extra boost provided by the card allow one system to stream TWO 1080p streams to two different HD TV's in the house at the same time?

Yes I realize XBMC wasn't designed or engineered to behave in such a manner... However, could it be possible if it was? Or could it be done with raw tools that would simply play the individual streams utilizing the cards extra boost?
Dave

They do make mini pci-e to 1X pci-e adapters, costs little less than a C-note.

You don't stream decoded 1080p video frames, data rates are much too high for even GigE.
TeknoJnky Wrote:neat, but would it fit an atv?

No - the point in posting was in regards to the use of the card in things other than the atv - traditional PCs
mr.b Wrote:the only adapter I've found so far - $25

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/MP1.html

which I believe would make it cheaper/easier to simply put in a proper video card that can do VDPAU...

Not really, adapter + 1X pci-e 8xxx/9xxx is going to be 2-3x the cost of the bc card. Have you actually found a vdpau capable 1X pci-e card that you can actually buy? More rare than pci vdpau cards.

Then you have to make sure you supply enough +3.3v to power it. You don't get enough current from the mini pci-e slot, you will burn the traces off so going to have to add supplement power.

Now deal with mounting, better make sure that the whole assembly will actually fit or plan on transplanting the guts to another enclosure.

So in theory, doable. In practice, buzzz. Believe me, already discarded this option.
My post of the adapter and the comment about changing vid card was not intended to address the atv - rather a pc that needed some extra uumph
mr.b Wrote:No - the point in posting was in regards to the use of the card in things other than the atv - traditional PCs

Ahh, I see your point. Buzzz on that too. Work the numbers on everything you need for a low cost vdpau system. $230 + $30-50 beats it everytime and there's nothing out there that can match the footprint in this price point.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:So how many model's are they're? It looks like 2. Unless the sellers on ebay are labeling them wrong.

I see BCM 70012 and BCM 970012

There's only one version on ebay. The ebay sellers are using various labeling. BCM70012 is a chip label, BCM970012 is the card label. Sometimes they toss in a BCM70010, the card actually has two chips, both made by Broadcom. The 70010 is the pcie interface, the 70012 is the actual decoder chip.
davilla Wrote:There's only one version on ebay. The ebay sellers are using various labeling. BCM70012 is a chip label, BCM970012 is the card label. Sometimes they toss in a BCM70010, the card actually has two chips, both made by Broadcom. The 70010 is the pcie interface, the 70012 is the actual decoder chip.

Much appreciated thanks.

So You haven't said much about this use with the ATV even though we all know you are working on it.Is it safe to say we should buy one of these decoders if we have a ATV?Big Grin
davilla Wrote:Ahh, I see your point. Buzzz on that too. Work the numbers on everything you need for a low cost vdpau system. $230 + $30-50 beats it everytime and there's nothing out there that can match the footprint in this price point.

But then you own an apple product :p
davilla Wrote:Ahh, I see your point. Buzzz on that too. Work the numbers on everything you need for a low cost vdpau system. $230 + $30-50 beats it everytime and there's nothing out there that can match the footprint in this price point.

you don't have to preach to me brother, I've already ordered a second hand ATV and a broadcom card from ebay Smile
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:Much appreciated thanks.

So You haven't said much about this use with the ATV even though we all know you are working on it.Is it safe to say we should buy one of these decoders if we have a ATV?Big Grin

I have four AppleTVs. I look forward to watching 1080p on all of them.
davilla Wrote:I have four AppleTVs. I look forward to watching 1080p on all of them.

HAHA! I guess thats a green light.

...but I think the idea is that you can put a $40 PCI (not PCI-e) 8400 GS into an 8 yr. old 600 Mhz Pentium III that you have lying around and watch 1080p on it.

Almost as exciting as this development... but not quite Smile

-Wes
Just be aware that even if you have one of these items, xdmx branch is highly unstable and until we get this and other issues worked out, there will not be any ability to play with the cards. So no matter how much anyone pleads and begs, it's not done yet.
davilla Wrote:Just be aware that even if you have one of these items, xdmx branch is highly unstable and until we get this and other issues worked out, there will not be any ability to play with the cards. So no matter how much anyone pleads and begs, it's not done yet.

I just take comfort knowing that with 4x appletv's, you have alot of self-motorvating going for you. Cool
Also note the Apple TV isn't the only Mac that has a mini-pcie slot in it...

SOME Mac Mini's have it (However the latest 'Early 2009' do not) but prior to that many?/most? of the other Mini's do.

Also a large number / all?? of the Apple laptops have a mini-pcie as well. (you'll need to research this for yourself)

Note: The mini-pcie slot is in all likelihood being used with a Apple Airport wireless card so if you plan on putting in this broadcom card then you've gotta ditch the built-in wifi.

Okay: It seems Apple has put the refurbished Apple TVs back in the store ($149.00) so for under $300+tax I picked up 2 of these puppies.. sure beat the heck of of ebay where people still have 40gb used ones listed for $150 and MORE (on the buy it now).

Dave
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder Mini-PCIe Card support for Apple TV?9