Aptitude Update script on XBMCbuntu?
cyberpark Wrote:@nugentgl

It may be a permission error as you say. If you worked with sudo bash (root user) it may be that your XBMC user don't have access.

1. Check the file permission on your XBMC script directory:
Code:
$ ls -l /home/xbmc/.xbmc/scripts/

2. Should give you and overview like:

Code:
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-07-21 16:44 Aptitude
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-07-20 14:55 My Scripts
drwxr-xr-x 9 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-07-21 22:46 Navi-X
In this example, user xbmc and group xbmc have access.

3. Take ownership with your XBMC useraccount:
Code:
$ chown -hR [i]username[/i] /home/xbmc/.xbmc/scripts/Aptitude/
where 'username' is your xbmc account

Thanks for the info. I did as you said but still recieve the error. This is the output for the Aptitude folder:

drwxr-xr-x 2 xbmc xbmc 4096 2009-07-21 18:14 Aptitude

This is the output for the files in the Aptitude folder:

-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 4507 2009-04-05 20:26 default.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 18635 2009-03-02 00:27 default.tbn
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 627 2009-07-21 16:05 index.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 2384 2009-04-04 10:26 install.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc root 2519 2009-07-21 18:14 install.pyo
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 15954 2009-03-02 00:27 LICENSE
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 138 2009-03-09 15:24 README

Shouldn't the files be executable?
I have the same settings:

Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc  4507 2009-04-06 03:26 default.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 18635 2009-03-02 07:27 default.tbn
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc   627 2009-07-21 16:43 index.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc  2384 2009-04-04 17:26 install.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc  2519 2009-07-21 16:44 install.pyo
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 15954 2009-03-02 07:27 LICENSE
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc   138 2009-03-09 21:24 README

Did you try to upgrade your XBMC version btw?
ASRock ION 330 | Onkyo TX-SR707 | KEF 2005.5 | Samsung LE-40F86 | Harmony 1000 Remote Control | XBMC Media Center Linux Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04
My XBMC Custom Installation script for Linux
nugentgl Wrote:Shouldn't the files be executable?

Nope, it's python, it's a script language so the interpretor needs to be executable not the scripts (XBMC and python in this case).

But tbh I have no clue why yours is not working, but since you have set it up yourself I must, unfortuanatly assume you have done something weird Smile, since it should work.

Log indicates IO problems, so something must be wrong with that folder. or the temp folder ~./xbmc/temp IIRC.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
cyberpark Wrote:I have the same settings:

Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc  4507 2009-04-06 03:26 default.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 18635 2009-03-02 07:27 default.tbn
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc   627 2009-07-21 16:43 index.html
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc  2384 2009-04-04 17:26 install.py
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc  2519 2009-07-21 16:44 install.pyo
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 15954 2009-03-02 07:27 LICENSE
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc   138 2009-03-09 21:24 README

Did you try to upgrade your XBMC version btw?

I can manually update XBMC using:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Topfs2 Wrote:Nope, it's python, it's a script language so the interpretor needs to be executable not the scripts (XBMC and python in this case).

But tbh I have no clue why yours is not working, but since you have set it up yourself I must, unfortuanatly assume you have done something weird Smile, since it should work.

Log indicates IO problems, so something must be wrong with that folder. or the temp folder ~./xbmc/temp IIRC.

I followed this installation guide verbatim:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53812

Basically, installing only the Base Server and SSH. Is there anything that could possibly be missing from my install that I need (besides python-apt)?

Also, when I click the Aptitude script from within XBMC which file is executed (install.py or default.py)?
I just finished setting up a new box following the same HOW-TO described above and now I get different behavior running the Aptitude script. I click the script and it outputs that I have 11 packages to upgrade. I click Yes to upgrade, then it asked for a password. I have tried all passwords I can think of and then it ends with Failed to Upgrade.

Log --> http://pastebin.com/m6c463e7a
That guide is not the official and supported guide, please use the one on the wiki instead.

Cheers,
Tobias

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
nugentgl Wrote:I just finished setting up a new box following the same HOW-TO described above and now I get different behavior running the Aptitude script. I click the script and it outputs that I have 11 packages to upgrade. I click Yes to upgrade, then it asked for a password. I have tried all passwords I can think of and then it ends with Failed to Upgrade.

If you want, you can try my XBMC Custom Linux Installation script:
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54992

..and then see how it works Smile
ASRock ION 330 | Onkyo TX-SR707 | KEF 2005.5 | Samsung LE-40F86 | Harmony 1000 Remote Control | XBMC Media Center Linux Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04
cyberpark Wrote:If you want, you can try my XBMC Custom Linux Installation script:

Your script is basically the same as what I did except you install some extra software. I will give it a shot and see what happens.
Topfs2 Wrote:That guide is not the official and supported guide, please use the one on the wiki instead.

Cheers,
Tobias

The supported guide in the wiki is fraught with problems. After following it verbatim, XBMC does not start after the final reboot. I will give cyberpark's script a try to see what happens.
cyberpark Wrote:If you want, you can try my XBMC Custom Linux Installation script:

Tried it but it failed during the xbmc-live install it looks like. Here is the series of output:

Code:
The following extra packages will be installed:
  xbmc-standalone
Suggested packages:
  xbmc-third-parties
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  xbmc-live xbmc-standalone
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 15.6kB of archives.
After this operation, 164kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main xbmc-standalone 9.04.2+svn21829-jaunty1 [2732B]
Get:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty/main xbmc-live 9.04.2+svn21829-jaunty1 [12.8kB]
Fetched 15.6kB in 0s (26.5kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package xbmc-standalone.
(Reading database ... 52962 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xbmc-standalone (from .../xbmc-standalone_9.04.2+svn21829-jaunty1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package xbmc-live.
Unpacking xbmc-live (from .../xbmc-live_9.04.2+svn21829-jaunty1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up xbmc-standalone (9.04.2+svn21829-jaunty1) ...
Setting up xbmc-live (9.04.2+svn21829-jaunty1) ...
Adding user `xbmc' to group `floppy' ...
Adding user xbmc to group floppy
Done.
Adding user `xbmc' to group `video' ...
Adding user xbmc to group video
Done.
Adding user `xbmc' to group `fuse' ...
Adding user xbmc to group fuse
Done.
Adding user `xbmc' to group `sudo' ...
Adding user xbmc to group sudo
Done.
grep: ]: No such file or directory
* Configuring system and starting XBMC...
* Redirect XBMC home folder and logfile to usb flash...
* Mounting local                                                                     [ OK ]

Terminated

I can start XBMC and run Aptitude, but since there are no new packages I don't know if it is working yet. However, my max resolution in XBMC is 640x480 instead of 1920x1080.

I am just going to go back to the other Minimal Installation and create a simple bash script to update XBMC (probably using chron).
nugentgl Wrote:Your script is basically the same as what I did except you install some extra software. I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Either of these two
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_insta...ep-by-step
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu
Should work.
I've followed both (XBMCbuntu I installed server though). I just wanted to bump and say if you had problems with them please provide proper criticism on what is not working for you so we can alter and fix, it will help both you and us to easier produce a quality program and experience if all users use as similar environment as feasible.

No offence meant to cyberpark and the other unofficial versions though and the script looks good from my very very fast look of it Smile

Cheers,
Tobias

@nugentgl

From the output I can see that you have used the #SVN repositories.
atm that doesn't work during installation. It's ment as a supplement to an upgrade after installation.

Will update my script with it. Smile
Topfs2 Wrote:No offence meant to cyberpark and the other unofficial versions though and the script looks good from my very very fast look of it Smile

Cheers,
Tobias

None taken Smile

Like I said earlier, I ported to Linux about 10 days ago and didn't even know what "apt-get install" did... It's basicly just all the commands do manually have to input on different guides + the "fixes" people have talked about on forums.

Just playing with some Linux coding. Smile
Quote:I just wanted to bump and say if you had problems with them please provide proper criticism on what is not working for you so we can alter and fix

Just a few small things that could possibly be improved:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_insta...ep-by-step
1) You have to add xbmc-standalone to get xbmc session (I have verified a few times)
2) Why not include the policy kit stuff?

Both guides referes to a different deb than:
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33327

Which is a bit confusing.

//J

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aptitude Update script on XBMCbuntu?0