Ripping-CD to SMB/SAMBA server
could you paste a few more lines of the log, or upload the log somewhere?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

http://home.powertech.no/olat/xbmc.log
i'm trying to make it easy for my wife to rip audio cd's onto our server for playing through xbmc. currently i do them all on the server and rescan on the box. i tried a couple of days ago using the xbox to rip a cd and it worked well although using vorbis it was painfully slow. the point it you can do this in the living room using only the remote control - ideal. however, when i try to edit xboxmediacentre.xml to redefine the cddarippath to an smb share (the location i put rips on the server) it doesn't seem to want to start ripping cd's? i tried it with the same cd i got last time just to make sure everything is the same.

here's my entry from xboxmediacentre.xml

<cddarippath>smb://mylogin:[email protected]/filestore_04/var4/music/xboxripped/</cddarippath>

the directory does already exist - it's currently empy as i created it for use here.

any ideas if this is a limitation of the path or if it's something else.

tia - lyndon.
afaik only local paths (xbox hdd) are allowed for ripping as of yet.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
thanks for the quick reply - Sad
i'll try this later. the code appears to support ripping to a remote location. (obviously) the user credentials need to have write access to the location to create both directories and files.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
i made some headway with this. i already committed a fix to one problem, but the remaining problem is with the samba libraries. it cannot create a directory. if the album destination directory already exists on your remote rip path, it will rip to that destination. (it's usually the album name.)
i got this working now. in fact, i'm ripping a cd to a samba share as i type this. i just need to do a little more debugging before i commit the fix.
hi,

thanks for enabling cddaripping to smbshares, which is really useful to me! (got a fileserver running on linux somewhere in the basement, and an ibook for regular work, both of which are pretty uncomfortable for ripping).

i do have one question, though, basically one that has been asked before:
currently the system rips to <albumname>/<tracks>.

would it be possible to have it rip to
<artist>/<albumname>/<tracks> ?

or a pointer to where i would be able to configure this would be fine too.

thanks so far!
removing my post because it belongs in the bugs/support section... sorry.
I like to use my Xbox for ripping my audio CD's. Mainly because it's in the living room and easy to access.

I however find the limit of the Xbox filesystem (number of characters and no international characters) rather annoying.
I therefore tried to enter a SMB share (where I store all my music anyway) in the CDDA Ripping directory entry but it went back to F:\Music.

My request is therefore to be able to rip CDDA directly to a SMB share with full filename support and international characters allowd in the filenames.
Another nice feature would be to pop out the CD tray when ripping is complete, that way I dont need to have the TV on all the time.

What do you all think ?
You used to be able to rip to a samba location. Try defining the location this way. It seems the GUI code wont accept an smb url.
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...perpath.3E

** editted **
Confirmed... the code to browse for paths in settings is limited to local hard drive paths. try using the advancedsetting way and report back if it works or not.
The AdvancedSettings did the trick.
Thanks !

What about poping the CD tray after the rip is complete ?
Can that be done ?

Cheers
Thanks. I updated the Wiki stating that you must use AdvancedSettings.xml if you want to rip to a Samba share. I have no comment on ejecting the tray when done.
Like JanJoost is saying, it would be really nice (and quite simple to solve) to be able to rip to <Artist>/<Album>/<Tracks> This could be fixed by removing the hardcoded <Album>/ directory. Because currently if you insert artist and album directories in track names, it will still try to create an <Album> directory as a base.

Furthermore, insert slashes in track names when exporting tracks to an smb will throw an error, probably the write code used for the hardcoded album directory should do the trick here as well.

Another pretty anoying thing is that some tracks won't be imported well. The importer will only create a 3KB file (redoing manually the import for the song will most of time build a valid file).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ripping-CD to SMB/SAMBA server0